Mineral Supplements
 Magnesium
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

VaFarmgirl

18 Posts

Posted - May 25 2015 :  5:50:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have been feeding our girls wheat hay ( not straw, but wheat cut while green then baled). The vet said it would be low in magnesium and we should offer a high mag block. I also heard that supplementing Epsom salts would do the trick. Do you have any experience with feeding epsom salts and if so, do you know how much I should give? I don't want it to have a laxative effect

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - May 27 2015 :  4:31:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You may want to contact Michael Wicks at WicksLivestock.com. He might be able to offer some advice regarding magnesium and Epsom salts. Have you had a mineral panel done on your cows? Then you'd know for sure what your cows might need as far as supplements. I'd hate to be feeding extra supplements (and paying for them!) if they really didn't need them. Just some thoughts... we'll see the advice from the more experienced have to say!

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - May 27 2015 :  5:26:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good old fashioned Redmond mineral block should do the trick

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo.
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - May 27 2015 :  9:44:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And there you have it! The experienced have spoken. :-) Thanks Ron! I always have Redmond mineral rock out for my cows...they lick it down to nothing.

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

VaFarmgirl

18 Posts

Posted - May 28 2015 :  05:35:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys! Expert advice as always!
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - May 28 2015 :  05:39:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Every locale seems to have one or two minerals that the soil is low in. Yours must be magnesium. We're low in selenium. If you're doing a mineral mix, perhaps you can add a titch of magnesium to customize it for your locale. But I wouldn't give just magnesium. I think it's good to give minerals in a balanced supplement so you don't cause the next problem. Minerals have a tendency to bind up other minerals when they aren't fed in a balanced approach.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

VaFarmgirl

18 Posts

Posted - May 30 2015 :  04:20:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you MaryJane!
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: