New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Topic
Page: of 6

GingerBKelly

274 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2015 :  12:11:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cindy, it is so good that you are constructing your magnificent lovely barn and summer kitchen in the pines with your hubby.

I love it when families get together and do things satisfying and productive. Awesome job! (seriously, I'm a little envious, in a good way of course...lol) Now, all you need is the concrete and things will be underway. Soon enough, soon enough. Sally and Elsa are coming home when...did you say the 26th of this month? Aww shucks, you'll be fine. Don't worry. They will be fine in your care, concrete or no concrete!

When it's all said and done and the little ones are settled in, you'll have to invite us all over for a chat and tea, or coffee. Of course, you would be supplying the fresh lovely Jersey, unpasteurized, cream, courtesy of your dearest Sally O'Mally and darling Lady Elsa by her side! Maybe we can figure out how to really do this, virtually. Perhaps we can, via teleconference, Skype or something....(I can dream can't I?)

~Ginger Kelly, Kelly Homestead Apiary, Charlton, MA~

gingerbkelly@gmail.com
When a cow laughs, does milk come out her nose? ~Author Unknown

Check us out on FB: https://www.facebook.com/KellyHomesteadApiary/
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2015 :  5:16:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi ginger! thanks for sharing your trials and tribulations. everything always works out how it should in the end... so we just have to swallow a bitter pill once in a while.

our concrete is now supposed to happen on monday. lets see how that goes... pictures to follow if anything takes place!

virtual coffee breaks are always a GREAT thing!

Firefly Hollow Farm , our little farmstead. Farmgirl living in the green piney woods of East Texas on 23 acres with a few jerseys, too many chickens, a pair of pugs and my Texan hubby (aka "lover boy")

Edited by - txbikergirl on Sep 12 2015 5:16:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2015 :  5:10:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
concrete poured! that's a 3' sidewalk all around on the perimeter of the structure.

Firefly Hollow Farm , our little farmstead. Farmgirl living in the green piney woods of East Texas on 23 acres with a few jerseys, too many chickens, a pair of pugs and my Texan hubby (aka "lover boy")
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2015 :  5:14:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we've got sprinklers on it for 72 hours to help slow the cure of the concrete. haven't had a pad crack yet by doing that.

We won't have the milking parlor done before the girls arrive, but at least this is a start. thought of a quick method to get milking parlor usable in one day. the posts are all 10' apart, and we have lots of extra cattle panels - so lover boy is going to put those up one day in place of the walls to get a space that is enclosed so the cows can't run away ;> then we'll install the gate on the entrance/exit and build the stanchion - so we'll have everything we need to at least make it functional.

so one month behind, but still usable once we have a day or two at home.

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2015 :  5:21:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Best news I've heard in a while, Cindy. Having that over with must feel mighty nice. Congrats.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2015 :  5:28:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations on the progress Cindy. Your Parlor looks so nice. So nice when things come together. Yes, I hope Charlene's is moving forward too.

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Mike

1667 Posts
Mike
Argyle WI
United States of America

Posted - Sep 21 2015 :  7:05:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is one sweet looking setup! And a summer kitchen is a dream any place south of the Yukon. Grandparents had one in Carrington, ND, wood stove and a porch.

Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2015 :  12:31:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks mary jane, janet and mike! it feels good, baby steps for sure but then all of a sudden you take one big leap. perhaps by christmas i'll have some nice photos of the summer kitchen part, but the milking parlor won't take too long to pull together - and then it will just be constantly tinkering with it as i go along

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2015 :  1:22:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your new concrete looks wonderful! I love the 3 foot sidewalk around the outside. That is actually in our plans for our bigger cow/goat dairy barn ... but a bit bigger so our small tractor could run on it and stay out of the muck and mud.

Also, love the curved path leading to it! It's coming a reality, Cindy!! Isn't it fun!!

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2015 :  4:16:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks charlene! i am now going to look at the barn thread to get your update ;>

Go to Top of Page

GingerBKelly

274 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2015 :  10:13:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see they didn't wait till the cows came home, before they laid the concrete. I know you must be satisfied this stage of the building is over. Well done, Cindy. Well done! Thanks for the good news and the photos. I can't wait to see Sally O'Mally and her little one in this set up. It's gonna be very nice, indeed.

~Ginger Kelly, Kelly Homestead Apiary, Charlton, MA~

gingerbkelly@gmail.com
When a cow laughs, does milk come out her nose? ~Author Unknown

Check us out on FB: https://www.facebook.com/KellyHomesteadApiary/
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2015 :  5:40:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok - milking parlor update! took the photos this weekend, but alas it takes days for me to actually post something...

we only have one real wall up but have 2x4 side rails elsewhere to contain the cow for now.

the grey cabinet is my pantry type cabinet, needed something to keep snakes out of stuff as well as spiders and cats, etc. its not that snakes are everywhere around here, have only seen two this year, but if you have hiding places those snakes will find it - so i don't want anything out and about for them to hide in. so i had to look hard at specs to find things that those buggers couldn't slide their evil little selves into.

the yellow cabinet is this adorable viper tool cabinet, wanted something sunny and happy. this gives me really closed up storage for things like spare milking machine parts, clippers, etc. also, i don't use disposable anything so i have a stash of like 100 towels that are only used in the milking parlor - so every day i take out a stack of 10 or so and they get tossed into a dirty pile as i use them and then i do a bleach load every day or two to keep them clean.

the small containers on top of the yellow toolbox are for the minerals and such, keeps them locked up tight.

the large rolling containers on the ground hold about 55# of pet food. perfect for one bag of chaffhaye, one bag of pellets, a third of a bale of hay, etc. keeps all that stuff easily accessible, but locked up tight from critters and easy to roll around.

everything is on wheels other than the stainless tables to each side of the future sinks - that way i can roll it all out of the way and hose/broom it down as need be. all the outside walls will have a 6" opening at the bottom so that i can hose anything out - we don't have much if any snow here, so with our milder winters i can buck up with that.

ROLLING CHAIR ANYONE? the milkmaid secret to happiness... a mechanics rolling chair, so comfy and no upside down bucket butt comfort issues ;> this thing makes me soooo happy. i could literally milk all day. i just sit there in comfort talking to miss sally and loving every minute.

Edited by - txbikergirl on Oct 21 2015 5:45:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2015 :  5:42:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you can't see my mary jane pooper scooper in the photos, but i have one and it comes in handy! knock on wood, we haven't had ANY accidents in a week - but that first week we had one daily at the end of the milking session and i was able to always catch the bulk of it.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2015 :  7:30:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Impressive milking parlor and set up Cindy. Some good ideas. Looks really nice and organized. I have a red tool chest that I was thinking of using for milking equipment and parts etc. Not sure yet if I will go that route or not but I like what you've done. Thank you for sharing your photos and your milking parlor progress.

Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2015 :  3:16:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks janet!

Go to Top of Page

Andrea0509

155 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2015 :  6:26:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your parlour is coming along so great! All of your personal touches will make it such an enjoyable place to be milking. Great ideas with the critter proof storage, and that everything's on wheels. And I love the pretty flags you put up, SO cute! Thanks so much for sharing!
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2015 :  7:09:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Confession.

I got teary-eyed all over again. What a wonderful little love story unfolding in Texas. And yes, I studied every detail in your pics, Cindy, trying to picture Sally O'Mally being milked and Elsa getting love.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2015 :  7:10:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
P.S. Where do we get a red rolling padded seat like yours?

Go to Top of Page

Caren

168 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2015 :  09:19:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very impressive! Looks like you have all the bases covered and are very organized.
Yes, where can you buy the little red chair? Congratulations. So exciting to have your "cow nest".
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2015 :  2:10:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
here's the rolling mechanics seat i got from amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007JYSWAA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

the price has gone up and down quite radically, so like anything on amazon scout your prices. the seat is LARGE and COMFY - but it does not get in the way at all. you can remove the tray below the seat if you want, i was afraid it would hinder me but it doesn't. i actually throw dirty towels on it while working and then pick them up later to take to the wash.

Traxion 2-700 ProGear Mobile Gear Seat

Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2015 :  2:13:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and i have to say, the seat really made the parlor perfect for me. i roll all over, can lean over quite a bit and not tip it, and it pushes out of the way if i need to move to let the cow out, etc.

its one of those so comfy seats that you literally never think about it - you just enjoy what you are doing and relax while doing it.

Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2015 :  2:43:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and here is me this week with miss sally o'mally. see that mj inspired pooper scooper back there? a whole week and haven't had to use it ;> the stuff under sally is the betadine stuff that dripped, i am messy with that stuff

and i have a little rolling platform i put my milker on when using it, then when done the milker goes into the pantry cabinet to stay nice and clean.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2015 :  4:23:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good Cindy! In the height of glory! Thank you so much for sharing and the way you are set up. Helps us see how the other guy does it. Yap, you look like a true milkmaid.

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2015 :  4:34:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I'm going to frame this pic of you and Sal. Happiness all around.

Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2015 :  5:20:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks everyone, there truly is a lot of happiness and love all around the thompson farmstead.

mary jane, i can truly tell you there has only been one "oh $#@!%" moment since we got home with these girls and that was because salpal was being a stubborn girl and decided to push me with her head. but that was early on, and i got past it fast and have really been working on our bond. she is an independent thing, and i knew that already because you were honest and up front, but she is amazing and smart and a lot of fun and she has taken to me as well. its all going great. two independent animals, one human and one bovine, relying on one another daily. its a beautiful partnership.

and now tomorrow she'll poop in the parlor just to set me straight.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: