New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Topic
Page: of 2

mszabo

21 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2015 :  09:43:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know what beta casein type A2B is??

Thanks!!!

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Mar 28 2015 :  10:09:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A new one on me. About the time though I think I do know something the plan changes. MJ will more than like ly have heard .

Maybe this article can help.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11233036

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo.

Edited by - Ron on Mar 28 2015 10:11:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2015 :  10:35:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm assuming you're still looking for a cow and someone has advertised an A2B cow for sale, right?

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

mszabo

21 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2015 :  11:57:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mary Jane!

We found an A2A2 calf that we are picking up tomorrow, and happened across a milk cow with calf that seems like a great cow overall, but they do not know her beta casein type. They only know that her sire is A2B.. Zuma from Select Sires. We don't have to have A2A2, but we would like to try and at least get an A1A2, so I'm trying to figure out if this cow would be a good fit for us.. to buy, and then test her and her calf when we get her. I asked to get her tested, but they said they can, but she will be sold before they get the results back. Everything else seems great- she's a wonderful mother, very friendly and easy going at the milking stand, and will let other calves nurse. Her udder also looks pretty good to me.. she is out of Ohio State's ATI dairy herd. Would love to get your opinion on her!!

Thanks Mary Jane!
Megan :)
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2015 :  12:59:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's all very confusing, perhaps intentionally so. I think A2A2 is the trademark version of A2 (Beta Casein). More than 95% of cow milk proteins are constituted by caseins and whey proteins. Among the caseins, beta casein is the second most abundant protein and has an excellent nutritional balance of amino acids. Different mutations in the bovine beta casein gene thousands of years ago led to 12 genetic variants and out of these A1 and A2 are the most common. It's kind of like human blood types that can be tracked back historically to certain locations, like the Fertile Crescent. Some are more common than others.

In bovines, I think the B refers to Beta Lactoglobulin B as opposed to Kappa Casein A.

I had Samson tested for Kappa Casein (A) and Beta Lactoglobulin (B).

Kappa Casein is protein yield and percentage protein and is associated with higher milk production.

Beta Lactoglobulin is associated with increased casein and fat content and is favorable for cheese production.

It seems to me it's a function of everyone trying to get an edge on the marketing of animals and in the case of A2A2 Corporation, the marketing of milk. Coming up? The marketing of all 12 genetic variants. If it were me, I'd ask the people "selling" or promoting that to explain it to you.

I wouldn't walk away from what seems like a great cow just because it isn't A2 or A1A2. Down the road, you can always take a great A1 cow (udder/teats, temperament, good mothering instincts, etc.) and within three generations have A2A2. Besides, the A2 fad is fading.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2015 :  1:38:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Megan, I should add that I think Samson could be classified (marketed) as A2B, if that's of any help. I'm hoping you bring home all three!

Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Mar 28 2015 :  1:59:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you guys hear that swoosh noise? That was the sound of all the intelligent stuff going over my head. Lol..

Mary Jane you are so darn smart. I think you have forgot stuff I am still trying to learn. Lol..😊

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo.
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2015 :  2:10:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's the A1 milk I drink:) How's that for smart (alecky)? Megan also wrote me an email. Sure hope I was of help somehow.

Go to Top of Page

mszabo

21 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2015 :  2:32:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Mary Jane!.. and Ron!! :)

Sorry to make things confusing.. I just sent you another email Mary Jane! :p
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2015 :  2:50:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, whatever they end up being, I hope you share pictures of your new bovine family with us all.

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Mar 28 2015 :  2:59:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Megan, as they say in the inner city where I was born...you be cool. Lol...

Think I am gonna start my own trend. Got my A2 cow gonna breed to the A2 bull and get an A4 calf...how's that for smart ( alecky ) MJ... 😊

Go to Top of Page

mszabo

21 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2015 :  3:03:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I absolutely will share pictures! Love the humor in this forum- you guys are great!! :D
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Mar 28 2015 :  3:29:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel like a rodeo clown most days up here Megan. Good luck with the cows. Whatever you end up with will be a good cow. After all, it's all about a glass of milk.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2015 :  3:38:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't forget the ambiance that goes with getting the milk Ron. ;)

Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Mar 28 2015 :  4:38:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See. That's the beautiful girl mind. The man mind can't even spell ambulance ....or watever thst word is. πŸ˜„

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2015 :  9:15:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ron, I bet you could start a fad with "A4" milk!

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

mszabo

21 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2015 :  1:23:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, here's our new little Jersey Girl #1! Her registered name is Shimmer.. I like it, but hubby doesn't.. so we may or may not change it.. We're so IN LOVE with this little girl. :)
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2015 :  1:31:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a pretty little girl. Shimmer suits her, but I'm not getting into the middle of anything. She has such bright eyes. I'm in love, and she's not even mine. Oh thank you for sharing your photo of your new girl!

Edited by - NellieBelle on Mar 30 2015 1:33:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2015 :  2:26:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We so know what you mean when you say, "We're so IN LOVE with this little girl." Lucky you. Lucky her. She's adorable and then some. Give her a kiss for me.

Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Mar 30 2015 :  3:12:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please hold me back. I want to kiss that cow! She is wonderfull...and Shimmer is cool....She shines!

Go to Top of Page

farmlife

1413 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2015 :  7:39:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She is so beautiful, and shimmer does seem to fit her, but it doesn't really lend itself too well to a nickname, does it? What do I know, though, my cow's name is Elliot.
Go to Top of Page

mszabo

21 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2015 :  8:17:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you everyone! My husband has given in lol, and is letting me officially name her 'Lil' Miss Shimmer Rose'.. gotta go all out right!? ;) (I told him he can name the little future bulls lol).
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2015 :  8:23:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my. Is that name not totally adorable? Lil Miss Shimmer Rose. I should let you name my cows. How old is your precious new girl? Also, it looks to me like she has a halter already to match her special name.

Go to Top of Page

mszabo

21 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2015 :  8:47:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww thank you Mary Jane! She is almost 5 months old. :) She is such a sweet little girl.. we feel so blessed. :)
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2015 :  8:52:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love your new sweet cow and love her sweet name! I think the name really suits her...and I was thinking that she already has such a pretty halter that matches both! What fun! She looks petite and just darling. Thanks for sharing pictures...and your joy with all of us!

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

farmlife

1413 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2015 :  6:01:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perfect decision! It suits her.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: