New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Topic
Page: of 2

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2015 :  04:27:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thinking of Kade and his family this morning. Just heartsick over the news of Amore. I'm hoping for the best possible outcome for the little heifer and that they can save her from further problems. Just want you to know Kade I'm thinking of you and your little Amore.

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown

tcboweevil

338 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2015 :  04:40:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, ((((Hugs)))) all around. Wanting you to have the strength and peace to get through this and that Amore is better today.
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2015 :  05:16:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't even know Kade and this is devastating. Poor little Amore. Blessings from Texas.

Firefly Hollow Farm , our little farmstead. Farmgirl living in the green piney woods of East Texas on 23 acres with a few jerseys, too many chickens, a pair of pugs and my Texan hubby (aka "lover boy")
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2015 :  05:45:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will let you know if I hear anything more.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2015 :  07:11:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonderful news!!!!!!! Kade just called and Amore is just fine and home nursing on momma. He promised to load a photo later today.

Here's what happened. She was walking in circles and having seizures because she had fluid on the brain from septicemia, also known as bacteremia or blood poisoning caused from bacteria entering through her umbilical cord. Charlene, you know all about that.

Kade had dipped her umbilical cord right after she was born and then again the second day. Well, momma licked the little bit of hanging cord off and created a new opening that wasn't disinfected.

The vet where Kade works as a vet tech specialized in cows in vet school so he had a pretty good hunch and administered a shot that draws the fluid out from all the places it isn't supposed to be. Kade said, "She peed a ton."

I'm so happy for Kade and family. He did comment, "Now, I know how you felt when you lost Beaumont."

Good lesson for all of us. Dip, dip, dip, and then dip some a-more. Once you see the dried off cord gone, start dipping again. I use a 1/2 cup stainless steel measuring cup to dip using betadine. I'm going to dip even more on my next calf and watch for that dried off piece to fall off and start dipping again.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Mar 01 2015 :  07:24:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonderful news without saying.

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo.
Go to Top of Page

Sydney2015

1156 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2015 :  07:39:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yay! Good to know that Amore is doing fine! MaryJane, I'm with you, dip, dip, and dip some more!

A good laugh overcomes more difficulties and dissipates more dark clouds than any other one thing - Laura Ingalls Wilder

I live on a small farm of seventy acres called Green Forest Farm, with 10 horses, a donkey, 5 beef cows, 2 beef heifers, 3 Hereford heifers, around 60 chickens, 8 dogs, my amazing cow, AppleButter, and her little Jersey calf HoneyButter!
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2015 :  07:57:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank goodness. So glad they found the problem and have things turned around. Thank you for the update MaryJane. Now I hope things go smoothly for little Amore from here on out. Septicemia, wicked.

Go to Top of Page

kadebg1988

128 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2015 :  08:00:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You folks are sooooo wonderful, I love my little cow family I have with you people. As promised I am attaching some photos taken first thing this AM. I will be checking her every half hour just to make sure she's on her way out of the woods.

Visit us online at www.upperdiamondfarm.com
Or like us on Facebook www.facebook.com/upperdiamondfarm
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2015 :  08:29:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So thankful things were caught in time Kade. When someone posts a photo or announcement of their cow/calf family we just naturally fall in love with them. So it was heartbreaking to hear of the horrible incident and scare you had with Amore. I'm so very glad things are better this morning. Thank you for the photos and update. Please keep us posted on the little darling Amore and her momma Valentine.

Go to Top of Page

Sydney2015

1156 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2015 :  08:35:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She's so cute! Can I squeeze her?
I'm glad she's better, keep us updated!

A good laugh overcomes more difficulties and dissipates more dark clouds than any other one thing - Laura Ingalls Wilder

I live on a small farm of seventy acres called Green Forest Farm, with 10 horses, a donkey, 5 beef cows, 2 beef heifers, 3 Hereford heifers, around 60 chickens, 8 dogs, my amazing cow, AppleButter, and her little Jersey calf HoneyButter!
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Mar 01 2015 :  10:08:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All well that ends well. 😊

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo.
Go to Top of Page

chives

313 Posts
Victoria
Shelton WA
usa

Posted - Mar 01 2015 :  3:52:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a little late, been working outside all day. So glad Amore is okay. What a beautiful family.

A cow is the heart of a farm
Go to Top of Page

chives

313 Posts
Victoria
Shelton WA
usa

Posted - Mar 01 2015 :  3:53:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where do you get the baby calf blanket at?

A cow is the heart of a farm
Go to Top of Page

tcboweevil

338 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2015 :  4:11:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am so glad she got through this. Good momma, good momma!
Go to Top of Page

Mike

1667 Posts
Mike
Argyle WI
United States of America

Posted - Mar 01 2015 :  6:10:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the wonderful news. And a tip for all to remember.

Blessings all around.
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2015 :  7:52:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my, this is wonderful news! Umbilical cord infection is just awful...exactly what Clover had. Keep a close eye on her Kade...just speaking from Clover's experience. Clover started to look better and then got sick again; but, she didn't have her mama around. So sweet little Amore is one great step ahead of my Clover.

Thanks for sharing and letting us all know!

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2015 :  1:04:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is Amore still doing well?

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

kadebg1988

128 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2015 :  1:19:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Running and kicking ;-)
Go to Top of Page

Sydney2015

1156 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2015 :  2:09:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's good.

Hi Amore! My name is AppleButter! This was me one month ago. ;)

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2015 :  3:48:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear it Kade. That's what we all like is running and kicking little calves. So thankful Amore is doing okay.

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2015 :  08:13:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hurray!!! I'm so happy for you and your family, Kade!

Go to Top of Page

kadebg1988

128 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2015 :  02:12:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
UPDATE!!- Amore is starting to decline again, her energy level is almost non-existent and she does not like to walk. She is still eating and passing feces and urine, but when you spend as much time with these animals as we do, you notice little things. We will be going back to the vet in the AM, If she makes it past all of these issues it will be a miracle. And sometimes we can do everything in our power to try and save these little guys and ya still loose em, just the hard part of life sometimes. I will keep everyone updated on what happens.
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2015 :  02:17:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear that Kade. Yes, let us know. Charlene said a relapse happened with Clover but Clover is the picture of health now.

Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Mar 06 2015 :  05:47:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's hoping for the good. What a lousy thing to have to go through. Uugghh

Go to Top of Page

tcboweevil

338 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2015 :  06:40:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I repeat and agree with every cow lover here.....uuugghhh! Get better soon Amore!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: