Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Topic
Page: of 2

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2016 :  7:35:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And here's ... Flossie!!

Ethan's new cow but he said that I could post pictures! Flossie seems a bit timid but came right up to Ethan as he milked out Clover. Tomorrow Ethan is looking forward to milking Flossie for the first time. Flossie came from Florence, MT. Love her!

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2016 :  8:20:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
she is purdy charlene! let ethan know i am so happy for him, i am really proud of him and what he is trying to achieve. most young people can't commit themselves to long-term goals, and the time it takes to breed and have calves is definitely long-term planning.

can't wait to follow the adventure. it took me almost three months, but i am sure she'll bond to ethan like sally did to me ;>

Firefly Hollow Farm , our little farmstead. Farmgirl living in the green piney woods of East Texas on 23 acres with a few jerseys, too many chickens, a pair of pugs and my Texan hubby (aka "lover boy")
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2016 :  9:49:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Big hugs to all of you!!! We'll need a full report come sun-up:) Makes a neighbor's heart go pitter-patter.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2016 :  02:14:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice looking (Flossie)cow, TonyMan. Congratulations!!! Please post more photos. Can't wait to hear more. She has about the same coloring as Nellie. You're on your way.

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Jan 10 2016 :  06:58:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She looks like a nice sized cow! Very nice..

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo.
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2016 :  5:19:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Ethan told me to keep posting pictures. Flossie is a keeper!! So very gentle. Took Ethan a bit to get her in the milking stanchion. Her previous owners had told him to lead her anywhere with a bucket of grain. Ethan tried and Flossie would only come so far and then stop. Then he just put a rope around her neck and lead her into the stanchion without protest. It was almost like she wanted Ethan to be in charge and just needed a leader. What a good girl! She stood still while he shaved her udder, no stomping, shifting or trying to kick at all. Three out of the four teats showed a tiny bit of gelling when Ethan did the CMT test. We gave her Ester C tonight and Ethan said he would milk her out early tomorrow morning. I think it has to do with the stress of traveling and a new home. Hopefully, it won't be anything serious.

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2016 :  5:19:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2016 :  5:50:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Flossie meeting Clover. Clover danced for her and then showed her where the water trough was. Very calm and this morning they were lying next to each other in the pasture.

Flossie is dark like Nellie. And she is taller than Clover. With three dairy cows, we should not ever be without some milk year round. Time will tell how well that theory holds!

Edited by - CloversMum on Jan 10 2016 5:51:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2016 :  7:02:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a joy! How wonderful Flossie is so gentle and Ethan is able to work with her so easily from the start. This will be such a beautiful journey for the both of them and the family. So the cow care and observations begin. Congratulations to you all. Yes, milk galore. You will be able to make just about anything your heart desires. Thank you so much for sharing the beginning of this adventure. Happy for you all.

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Andrea0509

155 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2016 :  7:49:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Flossie is beautiful! Thanks for sharing the new adventure!

Hobby farming with my husband & two kids in beautiful Michigan ~ 1 Jersey; Miss Persimmon, 2 Olde English Southdown ewes; Lula & Clementine, and chickens to come Spring 2016. Loving the adventure!
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2016 :  12:57:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations Charlene and Ethan! More better butter.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

chives

313 Posts
Victoria
Shelton WA
usa

Posted - Jan 11 2016 :  07:58:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Charlene she is beautiful. Lots of milk and butter.

A cow is the heart of a farm
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2016 :  08:56:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are so excited around here and the timing could not be more perfect. Ethan will have a bit more time to work with his cows as he changes jobs next week which makes him very pleased.

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2016 :  09:45:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are sending in her paperwork today to get Flossie added to our Idaho raw milk cow program. Exciting times!

Go to Top of Page

farmlife

1413 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2016 :  8:58:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So cool. Cows are blessings!
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2016 :  10:15:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes we do believe our cows are a blessing! We are thankful to have them!

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2016 :  10:05:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I continue to be pleased with how well our cows are getting along. They just don't seem to have a strict pecking order.

Do the rest of you find the same thing?

I mean with chickens, they can have a vicious pecking order. My goats have a definite pecking order, too. But I just don't see it with the cows. They seem to be very easy going and accepting. Maybe we just got lucky but I'm enjoying seeing them rest next to each other and hang out side by side.

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2016 :  11:52:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's fantastic news, Charlene. What a huge meant-to-be it appears Flossie is. And also Clover's. And perhaps Tony's?

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2016 :  11:56:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are so hoping that Tony and Flossie get along VERY well! :-) She should be going into heat next week.

Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2016 :  12:33:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this just makes me smile!

Firefly Hollow Farm , our little farmstead. Farmgirl living in the green piney woods of East Texas on 23 acres with a few jerseys, too many chickens, a pair of pugs and my Texan hubby (aka "lover boy")
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2016 :  9:07:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am smiling each time I go out the front door and see all the cows!

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2016 :  06:22:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And we're smiling with you!!

Go to Top of Page

Sydney2015

1156 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2016 :  3:39:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats! Sorry I missed it. Flossie looks gorgeous. Tell Ethan congrats too!

A good laugh overcomes more difficulties and dissipates more dark clouds than any other one thing - Laura Ingalls Wilder

I live on a small farm of seventy acres called Green Forest Farm, with 10 horses, a donkey, 5 beef cows, 2 beef heifers, 3 Hereford heifers, around 60 chickens, 8 dogs, my amazing cow, AppleButter, and her little Jersey calf HoneyButter!
Go to Top of Page

farmlife

1413 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2016 :  8:11:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my goodness, didn't you just breed Clover? This could get exciting!
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2016 :  10:03:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All things cows around here! We are hoping to be able to space out the pregnancies so we won't run out of milk! And our son, Ethan, really hopes to be able to create a business with his cows so it will be interesting to see where this all leads.

Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2016 :  1:28:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so charlene what will your/ethan's calving calendar look like for 2016/2017? we need to start putting some thought into it now and make decisions, as sally is due may 9th and elsa will be one year june 15th... not sure when we are going to breed at this point...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: