Hello
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

tracylea.henrie

14 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2015 :  11:26:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone!
I am brand new to this site. I have always wanted to have a farm, and of course that farm included a Jersey cow!! So after years of prayer and hard work my husband and I have finally had the chance to do it!! We moved to Idaho almost 1 year ago ( in March) because we absolutely LOVED the area!
Now we are in search of the "farm" We will be putting in an offer very soon on 10 acres. (Wishing it was more) but I'll take what I can get.

I had never heard of Mary Jane Farms (ever) until a few months ago and now I am completely hooked! People after my own heart. I now get the magazine, and for Christmas my daughter and son in love bought me the Milk Cow Kitchen book. LOVE IT!!

So just wanted to say Hi, and join in. I'm overly excited about this adventure, and I'm almost positive the barn will be built before the house!!

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2015 :  11:50:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome and congratulations! Love meeting new folks. So happy you love Idaho and hope your farm of 10 acres comes true for you, and your Jersey milk cow too. This is a great place to learn and you can't go wrong. And now you are in Idaho, perhaps you will be able to visit MaryJane and her training for everything milk cow. I'm happy and excited for you. Please share your on going adventure as it unfolds.

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2015 :  1:32:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We're so very pleased to meet you! Also, welcome to Idaho. Sounds like your dreams are unfolding beautifully. Stay the course; you're on the right track and hopefully the fast track to your very own 10 acre homestead.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2015 :  1:45:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
a hearty welcome from east texas! idaho is beautiful, congrats on your dream coming to life. there are several idaho people on board here so you will be in good company, both locally and widerspread.

we just got our farmstead about 4 years ago now, and our cows just in 2015. its a wonderful journey. best wishes!

Firefly Hollow Farm , our little farmstead. Farmgirl living in the green piney woods of East Texas on 23 acres with a few jerseys, too many chickens, a pair of pugs and my Texan hubby (aka "lover boy")
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2015 :  5:08:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to Idaho!! And to this chat room where you will find warm friendship, wise cow counsel, and oodles of experience to learn from!

We moved out to our land about six years ago and haven't looked back since ... it has been an answer to prayer many times over.

Our first Jersey had her first calf this fall and we've been enjoying her milk immensely and I look at the Milk Cow Kitchen book almost daily for recipes, advice, or ideas.

Welcome again and don't be shy about asking questions or jumping into the middle of any conversation ... it is truly a delightful group of people from all over!

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

Andrea0509

155 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2015 :  8:19:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome from Michigan!

How exciting that you're in the process of getting your land and future farm! 10 acres will give you so many possibilities and lots of room to dream. You will love adding a Jersey to your family. I'm a first time cow owner as of this summer and it has been such a fun learning experience. Still so much to learn but most of what I know has come from this wonderful group and Mary Jane's MCK book! Looking forward to hearing about your adventures!

So nice to meet you and again welcome :)

Hobby farming with my husband & two kids in beautiful Michigan ~ 1 Jersey; Miss Persimmon, 2 Olde English Southdown ewes; Lula & Clementine, and chickens to come Spring 2016. Loving the adventure!
Go to Top of Page

tracylea.henrie

14 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2016 :  2:53:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello again!! So my Hello post was back in December, and I have much to share!! The 10 acres became ours when after many back and forth offers finally ended in our favor. As of today, the barn is 85% finished with a living space. That we will occupy at the end of August (then start on the house). As for the Jersey dream.....well it doubled!! Oh yes, we have 2 lovely ladies with babies on the way! Living the life in the pasture behind the large garden that is growing extremely well. I often have to pinch myself......like daily, to make sure its really real!! I will now be looking for a few threads on how to get these girls ready to be milked!
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2016 :  4:29:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And a big welcome again! Isn't it fun and so satisfying to see dreams become reality?

When are your cows due to deliver? One thing that we did was to practice putting the cows in the head stanchion where we planned to milk. And, we also rubbed/brushed/massaged the cows all over (not so much Betsy, but she's unique!) so they got used to our touch. Our cows seem to thrive on routine (who doesn't?). Others more experienced will have even better suggestions.

Tell us again, which part of Idaho did you end up in? And, you can do a lot with ten acres!

Welcome again!

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2016 :  5:10:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
welcome back! it is so wonderful to hear the progression of your dream. do share photos and tales, we all love to hear them. and by all means post photos of the jersey girls, we love as many photos of our ladies around here as much as possible. if everyone else in your life is tired about you constantly chattering away about your awesome cows you have come to the right place as we will never tire of it!

Firefly Hollow Farm , our little farmstead. Farmgirl living in the green piney woods of East Texas on 23 acres with a few jerseys, too many chickens, a pair of pugs and my Texan hubby (aka "lover boy")
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2016 :  03:29:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello tracylea.henrie! What a wonderful life experience. So happy for you and I understand when you say, "I often have to pinch myself to make sure it's really real." After 27 years here I'm still doing that. Such good news about two Jersey cows that will become mommas. The group is helpful and friendly and more than willing to give encouragement as well as knowledge on an various things milk cow. Hope to see you here often and congratulations on the purchase of your new farmstead.

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: