Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

chives

313 Posts
Victoria
Shelton WA
usa

Posted - Jan 05 2015 :  9:43:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

The feed store can get me organic seaweed. Would that be the same as kelp? Trying to get Little Annie on all the right foodies.

A cow is the heart of a farm

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2015 :  07:27:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kelp is a subgroup of seaweed, kelp being one of the largest of the seaweeds. I'm not sure what the differences are in kelp and other seaweeds but perhaps one of the others on the chatroom could help.

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Jan 06 2015 :  07:54:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes organic kelp is basically seaweed!

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo.
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2015 :  08:45:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think if you ask the folks at your feed store to check the packaging it comes in that would help. The kind of "seaweed" that works for my cattle is called kelp and is granulated and not sticky, kind of like coarsely ground garlic granules or coarsely ground black pepper.

My animals love taking a lick of it everyday. And I love knowing they're getting trace minerals in such a pure form.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2015 :  09:44:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And, you can see if the seaweed is actually kelp meal (a blend with kelp and other ingredients, usually) or straight kelp. Let us know what the label tells you and what sort of seaweed is in it. I'm curious!

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

chives

313 Posts
Victoria
Shelton WA
usa

Posted - Jan 07 2015 :  8:21:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks like its from Canada. Not sure about this seaweed.

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2015 :  01:38:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks great. OMRI is the gold standard for organic certification. I can't read all the fine print but I wouldn't blink an eye to bring it home and feed it to my cows.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

chives

313 Posts
Victoria
Shelton WA
usa

Posted - Jan 08 2015 :  6:43:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Maryjane. This all new for me. Sometimes I'm not sure if something is good or not.

Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: