New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Topic
Page: of 2

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2015 :  4:53:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
charlene, i have to admit that the dr sarah's products have moved to the top of my favorite's list. but the cost is up there, so i acknowledge that could be limiting for some. also, i know you and janet have more herbal experience than i so it is possible over time you could play with mixes and come up with something that works for you.

#1 on my list - the "milking comfort" teat dip is really great. i have it in a little teat dip cup just like the betadine stuff, so it is easy to use every milking. i no longer use the betadine stuff post milking, just pre. i also put a little on my hands and massage all of the udder, so dynamint is no longer a daily application for me.

#3 on my list - i have both the arnica and comfrey ointments/creams, but they are similar ingredients and both salve like ointments. i would recommend to choose only one of them, but curiosity got the better of me. they are a bit different though in consistency and smell - so i alternate them ;> probably being silly here but sally is my baby and with no other dependents in the household i can splurge a bit on her. but i am frugal, so it meant enough to me to try out both. i would go with arnica if i could only get one.

#2 on my list - the "protect-her" ointment is what i used for the hard mass in the udder - it disappeared completely after a week of massaging with this. a month of massaging alone didn't make any difference. truly amazing. if I had to limit my choices, with the ingredients in this i would get this first and even in place of the arnica/comfrey ointments if I could only choose one of the three. this is an oil, not a salve, but it sticks well and easy massages into the udders and teats. i normally apply the salves first to the base of the teats for any cuts, then teat dip, and then do this massage last.

Note quite sure yet - "Savvy udder salve". i got this just in case i ended up with mastitis or udder issues. It is a salve so not just an oil for massaging, but i do like it (i had to try it out). would say if you got the "protect her" and one of the ointments may not need this - but then again i went crazy. i like the scent and the application, just not necessarily needed if you have the other options i think. but ask me again after sally calves and we have a distended udder and i am freaking out.

so for anyone else out there, since charlene has already shopped til she dropped, i would definetely splurge on the teat dip and the protect her ointment, and if budget allows go for one of the arnica/comfrey creams. to me that provides a good little natural medicine chest to address some of the more common and ongoing teat/udder issues.

and when i become truly experienced in this cow nutter world i will add more value!

Firefly Hollow Farm , our little farmstead. Farmgirl living in the green piney woods of East Texas on 23 acres with a few jerseys, too many chickens, a pair of pugs and my Texan hubby (aka "lover boy")
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2015 :  9:54:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you again, Cindy. Yes some of the Dr. Sarah's products are expensive; but, if a person can avoid a problem getting bigger and worse then its probably worth it. And, I'm relieved ... I happened to get your top three picks! :-) maybe someday I'll actually use the Arnica cream on Clover instead of on my finger tendon! lol Which product has the best smelling ingredients, do you think?

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2015 :  10:10:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cindy, have you tried any of Dr. Paul's products? They are listed on the same website as Dr. Sarah's products.

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2015 :  5:43:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi charlene, i like the smell of them all but i think the protect-her is my fave.

i haven't tried the Dr Paul's, but only because i was already purchasing Sarah's before I saw those. but if you do let me know as always looking for the best products around.

Firefly Hollow Farm , our little farmstead. Farmgirl living in the green piney woods of East Texas on 23 acres with a few jerseys, too many chickens, a pair of pugs and my Texan hubby (aka "lover boy")
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2015 :  8:18:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will let you know, Cindy; however I have definitely spent my fair share at the moment on Dr. Sarah's products.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: