Chit Chat and Daily Weather Report
 Under Blizzard warning!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2024 :  09:25:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well they hit this one on the nose this time. This is on top of the snow we got earlier in the week. Keeping an eye on all the animals. Makes things more difficult trudging through deep snow and drifts that are impassable in places. This was the first snow, now what we are getting on top of that. Plus frigid temps that are to dive -45 with windchill. To continue through Tues. At least we're getting moisture. Couldn't let the ducks or geese or chickens out today, no way could they get through this newest addition. Good time to bake. Always a good side. Sourdough Brioche loaves. Spring just around the corner.

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2024 :  2:05:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Be careful out there trudging thru the snow. It's about 5 degrees here with about 7 inches of new powdery, light snow. But the sun is out and the wind and drifting has stopped. Even though it's cold the sun makes you feel warm. I just got in from checking the temperature in all my outbuildings, hoping to avoid frozen water pipes. Everyone and everything here good so far. There is the worry though when it hits minus 45 windchill. I guess bake bread, brioche the best for windchill! Beautiful loaves Janet.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2024 :  03:40:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
-1 degree this morning. All I do while this goes on is worry about the animals. I try and make them as comfortable as possible, but this wind is brutal to say the least. I'm hoping the wind dies down, but so far it hasn't. This is just Sat. 3 more days or this is a concern. I have to scoop the porches every little bit just so we can get doors open if needed. Keeping the gas furnace exhaust scooped free of snow. It drifts so quickly. This is the kind of winter I remember from childhood. You stay safe. Trudging through snow is probably good exercise if the temps weren't so low. I'm trying to look on the bright side. Sun is to come out tomorrow here. Like you say it always helps to make us feel warmer. Sourdough getting put to use during this storm. I'll probably gain a lb. or 2. . Bundle up!

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2024 :  12:49:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, sourdough baking seems to be my go-to in bad weather also. I've been baking bread every day. Yesterday, I made two batches of sourdough Dutch oven bread--even finding time to be a bit creative with one of them.

Cinnamon pecan rolls are now on my list; yours look SO lovely.

(In your photos, I spy your dish-drainer quilt being put to good use--big smile on my face.)

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2024 :  10:46:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
-17 this morning. Wind chill -45. I've been without internet until just a while ago. This morning I had quite a time getting the chicken house and brooder house doors open. Finally managed that. Water was froze over in both cow pastures, but I broke those loose. Barn door was froze shut but I finally got it open and the girls milked. It's been a workout. Couple more days and then a small warm up. Still snowed in, no grader out on country roads. Your bread is so beautiful and I'm sure just as delicious. Snow storms and baking go hand in hand. Brings comfort and warmth.

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2024 :  08:39:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just checking in Janet. Everything okay?

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2024 :  09:57:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My internet goes off and on so have to wait until it comes back on to respond. Yes, okay. Lots of scooping as Joe isn't able to help. I had the neighbors walk and landing to scoop so I could feed her cats. The maintainer(road grader) went by yesterday afternoon. One lane. Drifts are high so you feel like you are driving in tunnels. I had to park on the road, didn't want to risk getting stuck and having to walk back. Dug Joe's truck out so he could go to work. Just -11 this morning so didn't feel quite as bad. A couple dead chickens. Brutal. Hope everything is going well there. Had sun dogs last evening. Not to good a picture but I didn't want to stay out too long in this cold. . pretty, looks like a vertical rainbow.

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2024 :  07:50:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, brutal. Sounds like you've received a fair amount of snow also given your description of tunnels and only one lane plowed. Minus 11 is a dangerous temp.

Our siege of cold is about to end. It was -3 last night but now it's up to 9 with an eventual forecast of rain after several more inches of snow predicted the next couple of days. Our current weather isn't as bad as last January when we had an ice/frost situation that busted the wood power poles in half that bring power to us while it was -20 below. No heat, no water. Made me plenty grateful and aware of all my conveniences.

Sun dogs mean ice crystals acting as prisms. In other words, frozen air!

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2024 :  08:03:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
-6 this morning, so we are a bit warmer but the wind is blowing again from the west. Makes the eyes water. Had to break the ice out of the tank waterers. They are not using the Bar bar waterers because the paddle is too hard to push down. So breaking ice it is. I think we are to have a high of 3-6 degrees which will feel good. More cold air coming end of week. Next week looks like a possible warm up but I will wait and see what happens. Yes, we can appreciate all the conveniences we have. I don't take any of them for granted. On the bright side the sun is shining today. I haven't had the heart to look at the trees yet, but will when it warms up a bit. Hope your weather improves there also. Spring is looking better everyday.

Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: