New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Topic
Page: of 2

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2014 :  5:25:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, I don't know much about cultured buttermilk. I used the thermized milk, from the fridge. Added the culture, stirred and left it on the counter, covered with coffee filter, for 24-36 hours. When it moves to the side of the jar when you tip it, it looks solid with liquid surrounding the thicker cultured milk. So, my question is, do you mix it up before use or do you use just the solid part? Just want to get the cultured buttermilk right so cheese turns out right.

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Sep 29 2014 :  5:33:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Janet you more than likely seen this but here is the link anyway

http://www.culturesforhealth.com/raw-milk-buttermilk

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo.
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2014 :  5:57:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, I read where you can drain the whey off of the cultured buttermilk. I didn't do that. I just shook it up a bit and used it mixed up. I wonder if I should have just used the more solid part for the 2 TBS that the Colby Jack calls for.
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Sep 29 2014 :  6:04:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh boy, now I am in uncharted water and I know you are in trouble if you are asking me.
I am a thinking this could be a question for Super Ashley. :)

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo.
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2014 :  6:11:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not in trouble, learning. I just thought you might describe what yours turned out like. Mine is like greek yogurt surrounded by whey. I don't know how to describe it other than that. Perhaps Ashley will read this and give me some idea what it's suppose to end up like. I'll try and get a picture of it.

Edited by - NellieBelle on Sep 29 2014 6:22:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2014 :  6:25:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It won't let me post a picture at this time so I will try later. Not sure you could see what I'm talking about or not.
Go to Top of Page

Ashley

167 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2014 :  6:42:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good evening! I just read this, and thought I'd add my two cents...Do you have a layer of whey floating to the top, with buttermilk below? If so, I wouldn't worry about the separation--I think that is completely normal. Think about the store-bought paper cartons of buttermilk. You can't see what's going on in there, but I know I always shake them up before I use any, and it always feels like heavier stuff has floated to the bottom, and the top is more liquid.

If it seems like your buttermilk is too thick, try culturing it for less time. It should be thickened, but it you should be able to pour it. I hope this is helpful!

Ashley (MaryJane's DIL)
MaryJanesFarm Food Guru
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Sep 29 2014 :  6:53:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Ashley. I think that and the sourdough starter is one of my next learning curves here. Just love all this good stuff but no where to go get anything close. If you want it around here, you gotta make it.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2014 :  7:10:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Thank you. I would guess this is too thick, until I shake it up then it's pourable. Not a lot of liquid and of course it's thicker since putting into the refrigerator. But that's what I needed was a description of what it's suppose to be like. It was pourable yesterday when I used it, kind of lumpy. I didn't know if it was to be more like thick whipping cream or thicker than that yet. Or like yogurt. Creamy or lumpy. Thanks again Ashley
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2014 :  03:02:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finally, my computer would load picture of cultured buttermilk.
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2014 :  05:39:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning Janet! Ashley arrived a half hour ago to begin cheese. I'm sure she'll see this. Photos are always helpful.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2014 :  06:35:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning. I should do the same but think I will give milk away today. I'm not so good at description so figure my photos will explain for me.
Go to Top of Page

Ashley

167 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2014 :  08:26:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning. From the photos, it looks like it might be culturing for a little too long, and that is why it is more solid. Try checking on it every 8 hours or so. It should be the consistency of thin yogurt. The over-cultured buttermilk could also explain some of the smell that you were talking about yesterday. The bacteria were just happy multipliers. :)

Ashley (MaryJane's DIL)
MaryJanesFarm Food Guru
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2014 :  7:03:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, I will do that. I will try using it sooner or as soon as it looks the consistency of thin yogurt. Thanks so much Ashley. Between us and everyones help, suggestions and sites to read, we will surely figure it out. I am determined to get Colby Jack cheese without holes.

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Sep 30 2014 :  7:18:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And I am going to be a gluten free chef!

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2014 :  7:38:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you will succeed. Joe and I had MJ Organic Lentil soup. It was really good! I didn't get chores done until late so thought this would be a good evening to try it. Hit the spot.
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Sep 30 2014 :  7:44:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah we know. I bought a decent variety of the jumbo sizes. Just can't always cook and the MJ meals are very good.

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2015 :  9:41:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How long does the cultured buttermilk stay good in the refrigerator?

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

Ashley

167 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2015 :  08:02:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It will keep for about 7 days, but can depend on the batch. I usually go by my nose--if it smells off at all, it won't make very good starter culture for your next batch of buttermilk, or in cheese recipes. When I have buttermilk going, I like to make a new batch every 3 days or so. That way I don't need to worry about the buttermilk going sour before I can make a fresh batch.

Ashley (MaryJane's DIL)
MaryJanesFarm Food Guru
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2015 :  08:09:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few days ago, Ashley added butter and buttermilk to mashed potatoes instead of butter and milk. You have to try it!!!! We all loved it. It'll be a new tradition around here I'm sure.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2015 :  08:24:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't wait to try it, but guess I'm going to have to wait for a bit anyway.

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2016 :  10:00:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm trying Ashley's idea tonight ... making potatoes and I'll add buttermilk and butter to them.

Also, these links are so good ... I came back here to reread about buttermilk and I had forgotten that Ashley recommended to start new buttermilk every three days. I need to start some more as this is the third day!

Is there anyway to make it last longer? I used a culture from culturesforhealth.com and don't want to keep rebuying new cultures. But I might not be able to use up my buttermilk fast enough. Although, as I write this, I realize that I can easily give any extra to my ducks and chickens. They'd love it and it would be beneficial to them as well. Just need to work everything into a schedule so nothing gets forgotten!

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

Ashley

167 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2016 :  2:45:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Charlene,
Your buttermilk should last up to 7 days. I like the 3 day rule just make sure my supply stays fresh, and every 3 days is more of a routine, making it easier for me to keep track of than every 7 days.

How many uses do you typically get out of a pack of buttermilk starter from cultures for health? They say that if kept fresh, the culture can be re-used indefinitely, but I always find that after awhile it loses it's integrity.

Ashley (MaryJane's DIL)
MaryJanesFarm Food Guru
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2016 :  5:21:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ashley, is what you are saying is to use the buttermilk you made as your next starter? i think that is what you are telling charlene and that is what i have done, but i may not be reading it clearly.

Firefly Hollow Farm , our little farmstead. Farmgirl living in the green piney woods of East Texas on 23 acres with a few jerseys, too many chickens, a pair of pugs and my Texan hubby (aka "lover boy")
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2016 :  8:33:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ashley, I haven't yet made enough buttermilk to see it lose it's integrity. What do you use that doesn't need a restart after a bit? I would like to have something that doesn't require more purchases in the future ... kind of takes away that feeling of self-sustaining. :)

Cindy, the directions say to use a 1/2 cup of buttermilk from the previous batch to act as your next starter.

I do that all the time with my kefir and it seems to just keep going indefinitely ... but different culture.

Go to Top of Page

Ashley

167 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2016 :  08:23:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cindy, You're reading clearly. Sorry if I was being confusing. :) I do make a batch using starter, and then use the buttermilk I made as my starter.

Charlene, I have yet to find a buttermilk starter that doesn't weaken over time. I bounce back and forth between using freeze-dried starter from cultures for health and store-bought organic cultured buttermilk. Maybe one of these days I'll stumble on the "perfect" culture. ;)

Ashley (MaryJane's DIL)
MaryJanesFarm Food Guru
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: