Vaccinations, Johnes, BVD-PI, TB, etc.
 Vaccine Reactions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2014 :  5:11:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Per recommendations from different people in the veterinarian world, I tried killed virus (rather than live virus) this year for their annual vaccines. One vet offered that it isn't the live vs. killed virus that would make a difference in their reaction but that certain vaccines are oil-based and that will give them a lump.

Here's poor Maizy's lump on her neck. Actually, this is the first time she's ever had a reaction in all these years. It seems to be hit or miss (who gets a lump and who doesn't). I also made sure the site was cleaned well with alcohol first, thinking that might make a difference. Not sure what I can try next. My bag of tricks is empty.

Any other suggestions? Or just live with it?

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Sep 15 2014 :  7:07:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have seen that before on some range cows and usually will pass. I can understand though the concern. I hate anything out of the normal on my cows as well. Just bothers me. I would ( as I am sure you are ) watching Her temperature for abnormality and of course watch the lump. The pretty Cow does not look happy about this!

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo.
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2014 :  7:27:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will say that with this round of vaccines (killed virus), Maizy's milk volume didn't take a hit like it did last year. Even though there isn't a milk withdrawal period for the vaccine I chose, I always feed the milk to my rose bushes for a week before starting to drink it again.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Sep 15 2014 :  7:40:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do not blame you with that. I really understand vaccines, but as you do I am sure I also just cringe at the thought of giving them. Uuugghhh.

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo.
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2014 :  8:08:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This happened to my "Boss Boy" steer a couple years ago, and we applied warm compresses twice a day. I don't know if it really made it go away any quicker but he did seem to be comforted by the compress.
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2014 :  1:39:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, MaryJane, will you stay with the killed virus or go back to the live virus vaccines next time? How soon did the lump appear after you gave her the vaccine? I am giving Clover her booster vaccines myself next week...I'll be sure to clean the site well. Any other hints?

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2014 :  11:01:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suppose I'll stay with killed unless it seems easier to have WSU bring their own next year. Cleaning the site well seems to help. At least you're not introducing bacteria into the injection site as well as a virus and adjuvant. And just like I do for myself, I always amp up the Vit. C before things like dental work, so giving Clover some Vit. C before her booster can't hurt. The lump on Maizy appeared within a couple of days. I had a lump on Milky Way that lasted for six months.

I took Beaumont to WSU today for overnight observation because he has a funny stiffness developing in his rear legs (they might try some acupuncture on him). Could just be a growth spurt but I was glad to know it couldn't be something like black leg (he received his first vaccination against that when he was two months old and had his horns removed). Can you imagine having something like that spread throughout your herd? Even though the vaccinations are a drag, the diseases are a million times worse.

Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Sep 18 2014 :  05:56:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The lesser of two bads. Let us know how the little calf is doing with the stiffness. So far out here we have been pretty fortunate to not see any real issues with the cows or calves. We do run a pretty closed place and not much comes or goes.

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2014 :  1:40:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you...I will give Clover some vitamin C, in addition to cleaning the site well.

How's Beaumont doing?

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2014 :  08:10:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Clover developed a lump after her vaccine booster two weeks ago. The WSU vets looked at it and weren't too concerned with it. But, I just don't like seeing that lump there. Bummer. Did Maizy's lump ever go away?

Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: