Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

chives

313 Posts
Victoria
Shelton WA
usa

Posted - Dec 03 2017 :  5:45:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Janet, I thought you had a picture of a wooden stanchion with a gate on it, like what Mary Jane has. I just want to get some stanchion ideas. Lily May is 15 month old now. I'm kinda getting excited about getting things ready. Thank you, Victoria

A cow is the heart of a farm

chives

313 Posts
Victoria
Shelton WA
usa

Posted - Dec 03 2017 :  5:46:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, I would love to see everyone's stanchion.

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2017 :  7:35:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's mine in my milking parlor. I converted a stainless steel sink into a feeder.

I had a local machine shop cut one side off and then weld a rod all along the edge so it wouldn't be sharp.

I had a leftover piece of Corian from our kitchen counter tops so I cut it to fit in the bottom of the sink. To clean up every day, I just reach a couple of fingers up through the round drain hole in the bottom of the sink and pop the Corian up and out for washing.

Miss Daisy:

Lacy Lou about to be milked.

Outside my milking parlor I have a vintage head catch rigged up to keep them contained while I'm cleaning and grooming them before they come into the parlor.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2017 :  02:44:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Victoria! So happy to see you and news of Lily May. Photos soon I hope. I will take some close up photos for you today. Our stanchions are quite simplistic and I use stainless steel steamer pans to put their feed, they fit snug, but I can pull them out and clean them if need be. . In this next photo I show, we cut out the side piece so it would be easier for me to clean beneath the stanchion.

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

chives

313 Posts
Victoria
Shelton WA
usa

Posted - Dec 04 2017 :  08:58:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you both. This really helps me a lot. I will put pictures Of Lily May up soon. She is a cutie, but aren't they all.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2017 :  09:31:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't wait to see her Victoria. Yes, I love them all, each with their own characteristics and cow-a-nality.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2017 :  1:01:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are a couple more photos Victoria but there not much better than the earlier ones. Hope this helps. Camera's batteries must be getting low. .

Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: