Oh no, Mastitis!!!!
 Mastitis?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2014 :  12:57:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Felt a firm lump on Nellie's udder this morning when milking. I checked for mastitis but it was negative. Maybe it's just starting. I rubbed her udder with the Dyanmint, and that's when I noticed it. I will start the Ester-C and see how things go. Sure hope it's nothing. Seems like things have to keep popping up. :(

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Sep 12 2014 :  2:05:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://familycow.proboards.com/thread/20433
Don't know if this input will help. Might just call the vet to ask? More than likely She is fine!

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo.
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2014 :  3:01:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That very well could be the problem. I can literally see her holding her milk. While milking she will contract up, more that once, just like a person would try to hold urine, she is holding back milk. I will keep a watch on it, but if the mastitis tests keep coming up negative, I've got to think that's what she's doing. Do wonders ever cease?

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Sep 12 2014 :  3:32:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol. No I guess they do not. Does She have a calf that nurses? If so sometimes having the calf there can help. Also a warm water cleaning sometimes can help also. I really think She will be fine. I have been told that if a cow normally is not prone to mastitis zit would be the exception and not the rule.

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo.
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2014 :  4:07:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I'm still letting Pumpkin Moonshine nurse his mom. I should start weaning him off I suppose. But we're getting plenty of milk and I figure he needs it worse than we do. She is probably making sure he gets his share.
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2014 :  4:09:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the information too Ron, appreciate all the help I get.
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Sep 12 2014 :  4:16:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are welcome Janet and you are fine. Just a concerned cow owner! Is it not amazing how the cows were able to survive somehow as a breed all these years without us to worry about them. :)

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2014 :  5:10:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Janet,
I've started adding the Ester-C to some pellets in a little Tupperware container, adding a squirt of water, shaking it, and then adding it to their usual portion of dry pellets so the Ester-C has sticking power and can't sift out. I want to make sure they're getting it. I recently immunized all my herd and wanted to give them all some Ester-C for a week. I've been bringing them in one at a time to the milking parlor to make sure they get Vit. C during this time. If you're worried about her not licking her plate for every last morsel, then a tad of water helps. BTW, your new stove is TO DIE FOR. I want one too!!!!! I'd never heard of that brand.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2014 :  5:31:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the tip. I will do that tomorrow. I probably worry too much but it took me a long time to get here and I don't want anything to go wrong if I can prevent it. So much to learn. Thanks, the stove was made in 1906. Fully restored and I can hardly wait to fire it up. Will be here next week sometime. They were a popular stove back in the day. Made in Portland, Maine
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2014 :  6:21:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking that to end up in life with a stove like that, you've pulled off the perfect life. That stove is something that should go on your epitaph.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2014 :  6:56:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I've been wanting one (wood cook stove) for a long time. I don't know about the perfect life, but thankful for the good days without pain or illness. Just want a little comfort in my latter years, Nellie, my milk cow, simple living, and an old wood cook stove. Good enough for sure. (maybe a comfortable rocking chair by that wood stove.) Not that I will have time to use it. LOL.
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: