New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Topic
Page: of 2

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2017 :  11:19:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well that's done. Not a salon job but the hooves are trimmed on both girls. Nipped one of Siennas back hooves a little short, treated and I will watch it, but I don't think it's going to cause a problem. I called Joe home from work when the vet said he was on his way. He brought his chute and tools. When he arrived I had him come look at our set up in the barn to see if this would work for him and he thought it would, so that's where we did it. He showed Joe and I what he wanted us to do and everything worked out fine. There was no kicking or fussing at all. We placed the cows in the middle stanchion so we could work from both sides. I held up the front forefoot after he showed me how to stand. I wouldn't be able to do it too long at a time but long enough. I am sooooo relieved this is done. He didn't feel the hooves were all that bad. So now I perhaps can hone my skills for the next time. Hot 80 degrees and I'm going to chill a while. Part of the payment was some of my homemade cheese.

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Boots&Flipflops

499 Posts
Darla

Posted - Jun 19 2017 :  11:38:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh My Goodness!! YAY!! Janet I hope you have taken a big deep breath and a sigh of relief. So glad you were able to get the job done with someone that you are comfortable with. Him having said they weren't that bad will give you a mental scale on what is bad and what is not.

Sorry it is warm there. It is absolutely unfit here at the time. That's why I am on here reading instead of outside. Got some laundry done early and that will be about it until feeding time.

Enjoy the rest of your day with a Smile of Relief:)

To Succeed In This Life You Need Three Things: A Backbone, A Wish Bone and a Funny Bone. As quoted by Reba McEntire
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2017 :  11:54:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Darla. Yes, a relief. He (vet), was so good and patient. I really thought Sienna would send us to the moon, but she just ate her feed and chaffhaye and acted blasé. Yes, it is quite uncomfortable here too. Heat with very little breeze. I would welcome a little shower just to cool things off. I have some fabric that needs cutting and a baby quilt put together so may work on that. Enjoy your afternoon.

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2017 :  6:45:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic news, Janet! Now you know what you're up against going forward. And you have a vet who is willing to work with you. AND trade for dairy. All around best of the best.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2017 :  7:02:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For sure, all great news, now if I could just get myself not to fret and stew and worry before I get to the intended goal. Whew!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: