New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Topic
Page: of 3

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2017 :  9:43:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We think Clover is getting much closer to her delivery. Unfortunately, life happened and we don't have an accurate due date.

But here are some pictures ...
First one, taken May 31, 2017. Her udder is filling ...

She was resting today with Betsy before we moved her into her own little pen right next to Betsy.

Just seems more and more swollen to us ...

Finally, Clover said, "Enough staring at my hind end! I'm STILL pregnant."

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2017 :  03:38:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great photos Charlene, and waiting with anticipation for Clover's new calf. Exciting time!

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2017 :  03:52:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not much change here ...

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2017 :  1:29:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not much change, but yet lookin' good!

Firefly Hollow Farm , our little farmstead. Farmgirl living in the green piney woods of East Texas on 23 acres with a few jerseys, too many chickens, a pair of pugs and my Texan hubby (aka "lover boy")
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2017 :  08:08:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never again do I want a pregnant cow without a specific due date! Clover is holding very steady so it may be weeks yet. Oh well, life happens and we just need to deal with it with a smile. I still have a beautiful cow who is most definitely pregnant! More milk soon ...

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2017 :  09:06:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's like the watched pot never boils thing, but we know the time is getting closer. As long as Clover is doing well, and the birthing goes well, with a healthy calf, we can be patient. But I am still going to watch for the announcement.

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2017 :  10:54:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And I am still checking on her multiple times every day and I still get THAT LOOK from her! :)

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2017 :  2:41:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And ... we have some mucus! :) Who else can I share that status report to??

Perhaps we are getting closer!

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2017 :  2:49:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If there's mucus and has been for the last two hours ... some came off and now she has more. Any ideas of how soon a calf might be born? I never saw mucus when Clover first calved with Humble ... in fact, we missed the birth of Humble!

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2017 :  3:51:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it clear and stringy Charlene? Appears like egg white mucus? Just hours if this is the case. If so, then watch to see if she starts moving backward/forward, eyes more fixated. Different behavior than normal. Holding her tail up instead of next to body. Nellie even winced her eyes while chewing her cud.

Edited by - NellieBelle on Jun 05 2017 3:53:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2017 :  3:59:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2017 :  4:21:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks similar to what Nellie had just hours before delivery. Is Clover rubbing her head, restless?

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2017 :  5:46:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes she's rubbing her head on the ground as she is lying down.

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2017 :  6:27:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Clover's giving me that look again. She wants to know why I've stopped taking pictures of her eyes!

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2017 :  6:35:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vocalizing with soft moo's and a bit restless but I don't see much mucus anymore. I could be up all night for nothing!!

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2017 :  04:17:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No calf? It's hard to tell from a photo but the lower portion of mucus looks clear. The clear mucus I'm talking about is slippery and will hang in a long string, clear to the ground. Not viscous or sticky. But, she's still getting closer. Anticipation.

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2017 :  06:22:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, hoping for word about Clover???????

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2017 :  08:52:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No word.... no new calf, very little to no mucus now. Ugh. But her udder is very full. Her legs are starting to rub on the sides of the udder. Last night she was licking me all over!

Go to Top of Page

Boots&Flipflops

499 Posts
Darla

Posted - Jun 06 2017 :  12:03:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am getting ready to head to town to do some volunteer work and just had to check before going out the door. Sorry there is no new news yet. The anticipation has got to be driving you crazy. It is me! I love seeing all your new calf pictures.
Don't know if this will help, but when I get my cows (like the plural there) I am going to try using the marking crayons on their bums when in heat. On my rams there is a nylon harness they wear that hold the marker between his front legs and after taking care of business the ewes have big obvious marks all over their bums. On the cow you could rub in on her behind and after the bull has taken care of business it will show on his chest or belly. Just a thought, and may be worth a try. Hang in there and will check back this evening.

To Succeed In This Life You Need Three Things: A Backbone, A Wish Bone and a Funny Bone. As quoted by Reba McEntire
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2017 :  6:27:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never heard of the marking pens, Darla. Great idea. I tend to know when my girls are in heat. Right now, Ester Lily is in heat and locked up by herself, although she did get a hoof trim today. She does very well in the chute unlike others I know, like Miss Daisy, who seems to struggle the entire time. By the time she's done, she's rubbed the hair off her butt (where the chain is), rubbed some hair off her neck, and bloodied herself in a few places. I'm thinking maybe a glass of wine beforehand ... for us, not her:)

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2017 :  10:19:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last year Clover was not showing us strong signs of heat (or rather we were not recognizing it). I was distracted with other family and daughter needs so wasn't paying close enough attention either. Where would you get these "cow crayons"? Hoping for less family medical drama over the next few months when we breed the cows again. The good thing is our Mr. Tony. He did indeed get the job done in spite of us not knowing exactly when. Having a bull is definitely convenient at times!

Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2017 :  6:01:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
but boy oh golly charlene, that udder looks GREAT!

Firefly Hollow Farm , our little farmstead. Farmgirl living in the green piney woods of East Texas on 23 acres with a few jerseys, too many chickens, a pair of pugs and my Texan hubby (aka "lover boy")
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2017 :  9:29:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Her udder is even bigger! And more veins showing but nothing else. I told Ethan that she looks less likely to go into labor now than she did a few days ago. After all this I'll probably miss it too!

Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2017 :  07:24:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
charlene you weren't around as much when bea had tiggy but it was kinda funny. i was checking in on her 10 times a day, like all of us, and one day after dinner i pop down there, no action, and come back and post on HJO that there wasn't any action. 15 minutes later i go down to say goodnight to the cows, and there's a big ballon out her back end and she's pushing out a calf - i ran up to the house, got lover boy, posted real quick on hjo that calf was on the way, and then back to the barn... so it can look like nothing for days and in the span on 15 minutes change... at least "change" to us less knowledgeable humans - but of course bea was changing all day leading up to that ;>

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2017 :  9:41:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's the exact feeling I am getting from Clover, Cindy! She'll promptly deliver her calf between checks! I am posting a couple more pics of her udder. I thought it was big before but it is enormous now! So the one thing I do know, we are one more day closer to her calving! Lol

Excuse the poo and mud but we had quite the rain storm last night! I think it looks like Clover's tests are sticking out more and filling with milk themselves. But no mucus yet!

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2017 :  05:42:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, the one thing you do know, she's one day closer, Charlene. Gotta love those rocket-launch teats. They get so full they squirt side-ways with the force of a rocket when they launch their goodness right after giving birth. Clover looks closer, for sure!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: