Calf Watch: Etta Jane
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2014 :  6:54:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Calf Watch: Etta Jane

I'll be out of town this weekend. Unfortunately, Etta Jane is due to calve tomorrow. No one staying behind at my farm is comfortable with assisting her birth if need be so I took her to my favorite place on earth: the WSU Vet School.

For only $18.90/night, Etta Jane is now in the hands of a very capable 4th year student who was so excited to attend to her, she canceled her weekend plans. I've been getting photos and text messages like these:

"Etta Jane did great overnight! No signs of calving. Took her out to graze for an hour this morning."
Júlia M. Pásztor
2015 D.V.M. Candidate

I should add that Etta Jane is in a fly-free AC facility with a master room all to herself. Cow spa!

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2014 :  7:38:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Etta Jane is certainly a beautiful cow. It's nice you have someone to take care of, and watch her. Now watch, she will wait until you can be her attending. Good thoughts and congrats coming your way! Can't wait for pictures!

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2014 :  4:51:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Etta Jane sounds like she is receiving great care...thank you for sharing about WSU Vet School. I hope she waits for you, too!

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2014 :  06:34:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anxious to hear if Etta Jane has had her calf! Keep us posted, and pictures too. (After delivery and things have calmed down.) :)

Go to Top of Page

HeritageJersey

23 Posts
HJO
Moscow ID
USA

Posted - Aug 11 2014 :  10:52:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

"She did great overnight and was excited to be brought out to graze!"

Latest update as of Friday; further updates from the weekend pending...
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2014 :  9:25:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, she looks ready! Any news?

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2014 :  9:56:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing yet. She's going longer this time than last time.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2014 :  1:08:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WSU EJ Update: Nothing Yet

"Happy Etta Jane loved her morning massage!"
Júlia M. Pásztor

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2014 :  4:13:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Getting spoiled rotten at the WSU Vet School. Etta Jane is too close to delivery now for me to transport her to the farm, even though I'm back home. I start my AI 3-day course tomorrow at WSU so I'll get to see her every day before and after classes. She's such a lovey!!!! I miss her.

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2014 :  6:58:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking Lacy Lou if a girl and Finley if a boy.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2014 :  04:36:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's nice that you will be so close by at the AI classes in case she would deliver. Lacy Lou and Finley are both great names. But you know it's gonna be a little heifer right? :) Etta Jane sure looks like a sweet heart. I can't wait to get the birthing news. And anxious to hear all about your AI course too.

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2014 :  1:47:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cute Names! Do your granddaughters help choose names?

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2014 :  6:44:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She's here! SHE. Finally. And that's no bull. Yesterday at 3:30 in the afternoon. Lacy Lou. 41 pounds. About 4 contractions and out she popped. I took lots of photos. Stay tuned. The vet called me at my AI class, which was practically next door, and I got there about 20 minutes before she calved. There was a large audience. Everyone came outside to watch, cameras and videos clicking away.

I also took photos of us AI'ing cows during my class. I learned sooooo much. It was a fantastic course. Within the first few hours on Thursday, we were practicing on cows.

CloversMum, this time I picked the names myself. So no need to use Finley if a ... hush now .................. boy.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2014 :  7:09:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations! So thankful all went well and you were so close by. Can't wait to hear about Etta Jane and little one, and your AI course. So happy you got that little heifer! Wahooooooo!
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2014 :  08:39:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A GIRL!!!! Lacy Lou, Welcome to the world!! And, congratulations to you, MaryJane, on a sweet heifer! How exciting. Looking forward to all the photos and information on your AI class! What a whirl wind of a week, MaryJane! Good, good things, though.

Go to Top of Page

pamijc88

19 Posts
Pamela
Pierson FL
United States

Posted - Aug 18 2014 :  12:16:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love to hear such great news... A GIRL.. Lacy Lou.. I love it. Isn't it so exciting when they have their babies.. So cool your doing the AI school.

Loving farm life with my hubby of 35 years
My Mid size Jersey Bessie my just above mini Jersey Bit of Honey our two dogs Dora and Tilly and a yard full of chickens ...
Go to Top of Page

wildvioletfarm

7 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2014 :  11:00:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How wonderful!! Our Millie had her little boy on the same day! Glad to see that Etta Jane was so pampered :)

All day a little Phoebe sat on the fence post and stayed close to Millie while she was in labor.

It was my Grandmother's birthday who we lost last May. Grandmother adored birds. I'd like to think that my Grandmother was sending us a sign through the little bird that she was watching over us during the birth. She would be so happy to know that Augustus was born on her birthday! It was such a special day that I will forever hold dear to my heart.
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2014 :  11:54:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the kind of stuff that makes life golden good, rich and bountiful. But of course Grandmother was with you. Phoebe, phoebe, phoebe.

Thank your for sharing such a lovely story. Welcome to planet Earth, Augustus. You've chosen your new home wisely.

Go to Top of Page

wildvioletfarm

7 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2014 :  3:35:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Indeed Mary Jane. Life is good. :)
Go to Top of Page

GingerBKelly

274 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2015 :  6:46:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Indeed!

~Ginger Kelly, Kelly Homestead Apiary, Charlton, MA~

gingerbkelly@gmail.com