Chatroom

[flourish]
 All Forums
 Marketplace
 Dairy and Farm Equipment FOR SALE (or barter ...)
 Milking systems for one or two cows?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Topic
Page: of 3

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2015 :  06:32:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ginger we also have a discussion about the EZ milking system in MJs topic she started about milking system reviews. good info in there.

Firefly Hollow Farm , our little farmstead. Farmgirl living in the green piney woods of East Texas on 23 acres with a few jerseys, too many chickens, a pair of pugs and my Texan hubby (aka "lover boy")
Go to Top of Page

GingerBKelly

274 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2015 :  06:45:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Cindy. I'll check it out!

~Ginger Kelly, Kelly Homestead Apiary, Charlton, MA~

gingerbkelly@gmail.com
When a cow laughs, does milk come out her nose? ~Author Unknown

Check us out on FB: https://www.facebook.com/KellyHomesteadApiary/
Go to Top of Page

GingerBKelly

274 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2015 :  06:58:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I look forward to your photos, Mary Jane. We haven't purchased a milking system (too premature to do so yet, so we are considering which to purchase).

I'd like to know more about the EZ Milking system. I have the Milk Cow Kitchen Book insert. Even so, I still have questions about cleaning...how it fits on a miniature Jersey....aren't the full milk bottles a little heavy for the teat....what does hanging a couple of lbs of milk on the teat do to the teat, over time (things like this).

gingerbkelly@gmail.com

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2015 :  09:54:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the Ultimate EZ Milker this morning on my miniature cow, Miss Daisy. Depending on how straight she's standing (while she moves around looking for every ounce of food in her tray) sometimes the bottles tip a bit forward at a slant but they still stay on. I've found that will Miss Daisy, I definitely need to put a tiny swipe of organic safflower oil on the base of her teats so there's good suction.

Also, I can't address the issue of whether or not constant suction is good for them long-term because I haven't used one for 15 to 20 years on any one cow. I see absolutely zero problems in the two years I have been using the EZ and I don't foresee any problems down the road mainly because the drawback of a pulsating unit is that there's always one or two teats in any session that go dry first but continue to be milked (not ideal for teats) but with an EZ you're more one with all of it. You can see the moment the milk quits. The EZ seems very gentle, etc. I haven't come across anyone who is saying that the constant gentle suction of an EZ has ruined their cow's teats.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

happyfarmwife

64 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2015 :  10:05:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a couple comments on the EZ milker. Although it does work, it does NOT work well with cows who have a slow let-down response and it may require massaging the udder to get a complete milk out. On cows that let down strongly/quickly, the EZ works fine.

My personal experience is that most cows do better with the pulsator type which is more like the action of a calf nursing and will give a better milk out.

With cows that give a lot of milk, the EZ milker will get full and the bottles have to be changed out which REQUIRES the person to be very attentive and it almost takes 2 people to make sure the milk doesn't get spilled in the swap out.

With our bucket milkers(Surge) it allows complete milk out with one application and I can be more relaxed and listen for the pulsator and know when it's about time for my attention to focus back on the cow.

I know the mini cows are a bit of a challenge due to teat size and their low profile......however, I would suggest investing in a "real" milking system for the long term. Everyone in my circle that has started with the EZ milker has changed to a more traditional milking system with a pulsator.

The only person I know who is thrilled with her EZ milker system is a lady who raises Shire horses. She uses her EZ milker on the mares to harvest colosturm if the foal is weak or has difficulty getting "hooked on" to nurse on their own. The EZ milker works great for horses. One note: Horses have a VERY STRONG let-down reflex and will release all the milk they have in a big stream. They also have low volume per milking so the EZ milker is a perfect fit.

There is a company that sells a really nice portable milking system. This is a company that serves the dairy industry and the portable system is designed for dairy men and women to take to shows so that they can machine milk while away from home.
Here's a link to their set up. I have had my hands on these systems and they are very nice quality and come ready to use straight out of the crate. The company has been in business for a long time and since they serve the commercial dairy industry, this system is going to stand the test of time. They will set up the bucket to fit your needs, and are available to answer questions and help with any issues you may have. A great company dedicated to great service.
They have a great catalog they will send to you and also have an online catalog. Check them out: http://www.partsdeptonline.com/

The portable milking system: http://www.partsdeptonline.com/3_4HP-STANDARD-MOBILE-MILKER/productinfo/62747/
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2015 :  10:34:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ginger, also I didn't answer your question about the weight of the bottles as they fill. I do know the inflation and shells, etc. on my NuPulse are fairly heavy. I'm not sure how it compares weight wise but when I fire mine up in November to milk Fanci, I'll weigh it to see and let you know how it compares to the weight of two EZ bottles.

HappyFarmWife, I think the biggest draw-back for beginners is the cost, weight, and complicated nature of a pulsating unit and also the clean-up of it. The state of Idaho requires that I take my NuPulse apart every day to clean it (I did purchase the expensive cleaning unit from Hamby's Dairy supply but setting it up every day took the same amount of time and I didn't feel like it did a very good job plus it required special detergent additives). And then the real draw back for me is struggling to get all the heavy tubing put back together after cleaning. It was killing my hands and I found I didn't relish that task every day. My right hand was starting to have issues from having to grip so hard and then push a dozen different tubes onto stainless steel parts. I often dipped them in hot water each and every time to help soften them. In comparison, putting on the two little silicon tubes on the EZ are like cutting soft butter as opposed to cutting frozen butter.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2015 :  11:15:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HappyFarmWife, in the last link you provided, what else do you have to have to get set up for milking?

Go to Top of Page

happyfarmwife

64 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2015 :  3:32:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The system in the link that I posted is complete and ready to use straight out of the crate. You do have to add the oil into the compressor as it is shipped with reservoir empty......then plug in to an electrical outlet, connect bucket to vacuum lines and the milking claw to the washed and sanitized bucket and claw, turn on the pump and add a cow.

I guess that's the great thing about the system from The Parts Department.....you don't have to add anything.
It's a bucket that sits on the floor next to the cow so easy to handle there. The claw has shut offs on each teat so you can easily attach to the cow and the vacuum system is already set to the 12.5 pounds of vacuum to be safe for your cow.

Rinsing and Sanitizing is easy with this set up and they suggest major cleaning(dismantling) once a month for the average user to help remove milk stone residue.

Our neighbor has dairy goats and was struggling with hand milking as she was BRAND NEW to dairy concepts and milking. She was considering a couple other milking systems including the EZ Milker and a local person who buys parts and pieces from a company in India to put together a small milking system. I have been her mentor since day one I had seen the India system first hand and the vacuum pump in that set up was too small for the task at hand.
At my suggestion she called The Parts Department and confirmed my evaluation of the quality......she has been a totally thrilled with her portable milker since day one. This is her second year with the set up and she has had zero issues. The pulsator required a little attention at the beginning of this milking season, just needed a little lubricant after being in storage over the winter months.
The company set up her bucket for milking two goats at the same time and the teat cups and inflations were perfect size for her little goat girls.
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2015 :  4:41:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds great. Is there a photo or close-up details on the "bucket to vacuum lines and the milking claw to the washed and sanitized bucket and claw?" I'm just wanting to SEE it. Maybe I'm missing something. I love the idea of a shut-off to each teat but would love to see more photos or diagrams.

Go to Top of Page

happyfarmwife

64 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2015 :  4:44:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.partsdeptonline.com/COMPLETE-BUCKET-FOR-1-COW-35/productinfo/62585C/
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2015 :  4:50:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
People only take apart the claw, lines, inflations once a month to clean? Any chance you can show me how the shut-offs to each teat work or what they look like close up? Dying for some photos or a video or anything. In what little I can see in the links, this is essentially a NuPulse but with a more portable vacuum pump unit.

Go to Top of Page

happyfarmwife

64 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2015 :  5:45:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The shut offs are at the 90degree angle where the inflations meet the tube that carry the milk to the bucket. I will see if I can find a photo in their on line catalog. I love the paper catalog since I tend to get lost with distractions when I'm in an on-line catalog. The shut offs are a two position valve that automatically transfers the vacuum to the teat when you put the teat cup on. The only photo I can find is on the goat cluster. I'm sure there is one of the cow version but I am not finding it right this moment. Here's the goat cluster link: http://www.partsdeptonline.com/GOAT-CLUSTER-SILICONE-REGULAR/productinfo/62997/
Go to Top of Page

happyfarmwife

64 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2015 :  5:47:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.partsdeptonline.com/AUTO-VALVE/productinfo/920858/
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2015 :  6:40:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome. That's one of the features of the NuPulse claw I'm not a fan of. I have to use the red stoppers pushed into each inflation to get them on one by one. The shut-offs would be great. How do people get all that black and heavy silicone clear tubing clean and sterile every day? Special brushes?

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2015 :  9:09:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I should add that whenever you put milk in a tube you've created the perfect home for bacteria. Getting the milk out of the tubing of my NuPulse, its claw, and all its little parts was a daily job in and of itself and in the beginning when I didn't pay special attention to the tubing on a daily basis (other than rinsing it) and clean each tube with brushes that I special ordered, I failed two "other bacteria" tests that the state of Idaho did on my raw milk. Not only that but tubing never dries and when it comes to bacteria, standing water is your enemy. With the EZ, the milk never goes into a tube, making clean-up not only easier but truly cleaner in my mind. For me, that's a huge plus and that's why I'm so curious about clean-up with the units you're recommending. What is clean-up like? How are people getting them clean after each use?

Go to Top of Page

happyfarmwife

64 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2015 :  04:51:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't tell you our bacteria count in using the rinse and sanitize the system we use because we only milk for our own use and for making cheese for our own use. We supply milk for family and friends and have no problem with our milk lasting 10-14 days in the fridge without turning sour or developing any "off" odor or taste.

Please remember that in no commercial dairy do they dismantle the milking claw, inflations, tubes and hoses to clean between every milking. They rinse and sanitize the individual claws and run cleaning/sanitizing solution through the milk line and hang the claws to dry between milking.

Oklahoma does not require bacteria count for selling milk "at the farmstead gate" at this time so you are dealing with a totally different venue and I honor your commitment to your dairy project. I have to believe that there is a way to clean and sanitize without complete dismantling every milking.
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2015 :  11:09:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, Happyfarmwife, how do you personally rinse and sanitize your tubing? Can you tell me the products that you use?

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

GingerBKelly

274 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2015 :  6:08:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mary Jane, thank you so much for the photos. I'm sorry I haven't been able to post, but it's been like gangbusters here for the past few days.

I feel like a ping pong ball....LOL!

Anyhow...

I wanted to ask you MORE about the EZ Milker.

I also agree with you, that a lightweight, easy to clean, easy to disassemble and easy to use, system is extremely important! Actually, I'd pay more for something I could use with my hands (I have carpal tunnel). I want to clean and sanitize my system with ease, every day!

My husband Ken is a plumbing and fire protection engineer who works in Boston. He designs plumbing and fire protection systems for commercial buildings in the US and all over the world. Many systems he has designed have vacuums and pumps and all sorts of things. Many are in the medical industry and require a great deal of precision and safety. I asked Ken about the EZ Milker and how it works.

I showed Ken the photos you posted, Mary Jane.

I mentioned to Ken that you said that if you didn't watch the EZ Milker "like a hawk", that you were afraid that it could overflow and damage the vacuum pump. I asked Ken if there was a solution or work-around for this. I said I'd like an absolutely flawless system that isn't going to burn out the pump. (I assume it is a design flaw, in the EZ Milker, but then again, maybe not)

Ken explained to me how the EZ Milker (or any milker for that matter) works and how a vacuum pump works. He also explained to me how a surge in the vacuum pump would work, and everything. It was a very good lesson.

So, with that said, Ken also asked me to ask you (Mary Jane) if the EZ Milker has a knock-out pot? If you don't know what he is referring to, a knock out pot is an overflow protection container that would keep any fluids (in this case, milk) from overflowing the main milk bottles and backing down the vacuum tube, ruining the vacuum pump.

Here is a picture Ken drew (by hand on the coffee table), of a cow and the EZ Milker system, with the vacuum pump and a knock out pot, to illustrate.

LOL.....My Lord, I'm laughing so hard.....(he just handed me his sketch). Gotta love his cow with 7 teats!

gingerbkelly@gmail.com

Go to Top of Page

happyfarmwife

64 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2015 :  04:17:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cute diagram....have to giggle at the 7 teats......and one comment. The home type milking systems of the mid century all came with a "float jar" to prevent milk from entering the vacuum pump. It was basically a glass jar with a plastic ball inside. The vacuum line attached so that the vacuum ran through the jar. No liquid in the jar, the ball is at the bottom and vacuum flows.
When liquid entered the jar(over filled milk bucket) the ball would float.....enough liquid and the ball would raise to the point it would close off the flow of air and prevent vacuum pump damage.

It's so simple and so effective. Float jars are still available however very very few systems offered for the home milking include one. Guess it's because so many people and companies are "new" to the knowledge of machine milking and how the systems work.
Go to Top of Page

farmlife

1413 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2015 :  05:09:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know much about the Ultimate EZ, but here's a link to the website where he shows set up and use:
http://www.udderlyez.com/ultimate_ez_milker.php

Happyfarmwife, I've been wondering how big dairies make milk machines more "workable" if you will without constantly cleaning the machine. I would love to see a video with one of the machines from the Parts Department in use.
Go to Top of Page

happyfarmwife

64 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2015 :  05:41:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The key to big dairy operations is to use an appropriate chemical to clean and kill microbes. They do count a lot on the fact that all commercial milk is pasteurized. On that same note, the milk is always tested for bacterial count and somatic cell count so it has to be within safety parameters.
As for a video, don't know if Parts Department has anything like that available. They are primarily a company that sells to the commercial dairy industry where programs and systems are in place.
Our neighbor with dairy goats has dried off her dairy girls for the year so can't do a video for you there. But will give it some thought as one of our friends is still milking her does using her Parts Department portable milking system. Maybe we can come up with some video with hand-on views of things in use.....both ladies are at a big goat show this weekend so will have to visit with them when they come back about doing video....

Too bad I don't get a commission on all the equipment I have sold for Parts Department.....guess when I find a good thing I enjoy sharing, especially when it's not only good products, it's great customer service which seems to be disappearing in today's world!
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Sep 04 2015 :  06:34:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great machine...pretty much what I have been looking for allmthevyears past and never found it all in one place! Thank you for sharing this one! At the top of my list....I hand milk and when the cow freshens milking out 6 plus gallons a day is way more than I care to handle...thank you.

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo.
Go to Top of Page

farmlife

1413 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2015 :  06:53:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the portability, too, Ron. I just can't visualize the system in use.
Go to Top of Page

happyfarmwife

64 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2015 :  08:08:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our goat lady neighbor who has the Parts Department system has a tiny milking area in a very small shed. Way too small to be considered a "parlor"!.....her milk space is maybe 7' wide and 6' long about half of her little shed. Just enough room for a milk stand along one wall to secure the goat and very little floor space. I figured she would set her vacuum pump outside and run the vacuum hose through the window.....when we helped her through the first two milkings, she decided that the she wanted the vacuum pump inside her tiny space....It's much quieter than my portable 3/4hp air compressor that I use to power my air guns for construction work.....just sits there and purrs, the bucket pulsator clicking away and goats munching their grain.....didn't bother the goats at all to have the pump next to the milk stand.....that way the switch is within easy reach to shut down between goats.
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2015 :  08:36:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to chime in quick-like and say that the EZ milking machine does, indeed, have a "knock-out pot" and, unfortunately, I have used it a couple of times this week as I'm getting used to milking Clover. It totally saves the pump and absolutely no milk can get into the pump. The whole EZ system works wonderfully well and is truly easy to clean up. The other issue for me was the cost ... the EZ machine was affordable and the customer service is truly out of this world!

Not trying to take away from the machine that happyfarmwife has found and likes ... just giving my experience. I'm using the EZ machine on my goats and my cow.

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: