New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Topic
Page: of 5

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2014 :  4:14:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh we've been listening to the coyotes and owls too! The coyotes were close in a couple of nights ago. We also have three great horned owls that come around. One is a baby and is still trying to learn to hoot correctly. It is hilarious listening to the adults talking to him and the baby tries to answer back...sounds like his voice cracks, just like an adolescent boy. But I have to be quick on shutting my chickens up...the owls watch me from the roof seeing if I lock all of the hens up...they sure would like a chicken or two. I've tried explaining that they can have all the mice they want, just leave my hens alone!

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Sep 27 2014 :  6:35:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol..new knower have arrived when we start to reason with the wild life, and better yet we know they listen. It is like that LGD that lives here. He listens to every word I say, then chooses to ignore me. :)

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo.
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2014 :  08:36:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So our first visit from the WSU vets was yesterday...gotta say that I'm very more impressed with them. They were on time, kind, professional, thorough in their exam, sweet to Clover, etc. Clover got her first shot and progesterone suppository that I need to check on every day to be sure it is still inserted. Then, they'll come next Tuesday with another shot and, finally, on Friday the actual insemination will happen. It is fascinating...they said that they will thaw the semen for 30 seconds and then have less than ten minutes to use it. I am just amazed that, hopefully, Clover could be bred within the next week. But, of course, we won't know for a month. That is going to be a very long month! :-)

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2014 :  9:42:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Clover had her last visit from the WSU vets this morning and finished up with the AI procedure today! And, lo and behold, she appeared to be in heat today! yahoo!! The WSU vets said that all looked good. With the shortened AI protocol, there is a 60-70% success rate for heifers.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2014 :  06:40:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's hoping Charlene.
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Oct 11 2014 :  06:45:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Totally awesome Charlene. Best time of year to breed in my opinion. And whatever your beloved Cow has will be just right. Bulls gotta be born as well. I know we have the Gurnsey bull that we sold to another farm but use when needed and both bull calfs that we had went to other farms as herd sires too. I know when I start with my Jerseys am going to be needing access to or own a bull too!

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo.
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2014 :  9:08:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, I wasn't saying there was a 60% chance of having a female baby...but rather, this shortened AI protocol has seen roughly 60% success rate of pregnancy for first time young cows. I still get messed up with all the proper terms...sorry, I confused you, Ron! I will be so pleased with whatever Clover has...just excited to see her as a mama cow!

Here's some photos from the big day yesterday:

Water heater that warms the straw to body temperature... The frozen straw of semen was thawed for exactly 30 seconds and then the veterinarians had less than ten minutes to get the semen into Clover...

AI "gun" that holds the straw of semen...

AI storage tank that is holding the semen to be used on Clover...they used one straw...Each straw is always printed with the bull's name and information.

Examining Clover...she had a swollen right follicle which was suggestive of a mature egg ready for fertilization. And, then threading the straw through all the folds of the cervix (cows generally have three large folds to thread through) to deposit the semen inside the uterus...

Now to wait 28-30 days before verifying a pregnancy through a blood test and, hopefully, a new babe in approximately 280 days!

Edited by - CloversMum on Oct 11 2014 9:10:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2014 :  12:25:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I spoke with Dr. Campbell later that day (I had my bulls over there for various different things). She said all went well and commented on how much she liked Clover. So, a blood draw on the 10th of November???? I'd be happy to help.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2014 :  03:54:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How exciting Charlene and thanks for the photos. It's so interesting. Waiting is always the hard part. But it will all be worth it when the time arrives. So happy things are going so well.
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Oct 12 2014 :  05:35:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So glad all went well! Can almost taste that wonderful cream laden milk from clover now! Not to mention a fat little heifer calf too!

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2014 :  6:20:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, please, MaryJane, help with a blood draw on November 10th would be wonderful! :-) I'm also so glad Dr. Campbell liked Clover...All the vets were helpful and patient with teaching my son and myself exactly what they were doing and why. The vets did say that Clover was about the perfect size for a backyard cow...and I definitely agree with them! :-) Now for the waiting game...I'm terrible at Christmas, so I'm afraid I won't be any better at this.

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2014 :  7:01:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let's do it first thing so we can run it in and get same day results.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2014 :  1:09:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like your way of thinking, Maryjane! :-) Yes, let's do the blood draw first thing so we don't have to wait another night! I'll put the coffee on...you might need to bring the cream. :-)

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2014 :  1:28:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So...now I'll be the worrier here. Today Clover has been moo-ing constantly...just like she did 21 days ago. She was AI'd last Friday (6 days ago) after receiving all the hormone shots/protocol. Could Clover possibly be in heat today? If so, then she's clearly not pregnant...but obviously way too early to test. And, if she's in heat, how could that happen if she received all the hormone therapy/shots/protocol to "reset" her cycle in order to be AI'd?

I just think it is very interesting that she is moo-ing nonstop today, exactly 21 days after the same behavior. She's so loud that even our neighbors hear her and asked if we had forgotten to feed her! The only other thing that I'm wondering is that the pigs who were right next to her pasture are now gone to the butcher. She used to play with them through the fence. But they've been gone since Sunday and she didn't act differently until today.

So, after you stop laughing at me and my funny questions :-) please give me your thoughts and advice on this!

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2014 :  2:12:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm certainly not laughing, but it does indeed sound like she is in heat. And even if that's so, it's not the end of the world. Just have to wait a little longer, and go again. I had to with Sienna 4-5 times. Just from my own experience, that's what Nellie does, bawls non stop and sometimes walks the fence. Ron and MaryJane have more experience at this than I, so maybe they have an idea.
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Oct 16 2014 :  2:16:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Charlene, one of the great mysteries of cow hood! Do you know anyone close by who would have a suitable bull? One of the sure ways to preg check sometimes.
Other than wait another 21 days and see if She does it again. It is so hard to tell so early. But if you had a bull of the same breed you could put in with Her asap that would tell the story right now! Lol
She would let him mount in which case she would be bred.or She would reject and not in which case she would not be in heat. Just a thought other than wait to preg check,

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2014 :  3:04:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Charlene, here is a site that tells of physiological and behavioral signs of heat. www.wikihow.com/Tell-when-a-Cow-or-Heifer-is-in-Estrus

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown

Edited by - NellieBelle on Oct 16 2014 3:06:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2014 :  8:38:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank to both of you, Janet and Ron, for your help! Since I don't have a bull right here on site, I think that Clover would probably be out of heat by the time I figured things out. I do agree that would be the easiest...it sure is with my goats. Four of my five goats are now bred! But, maybe I can have something worked out before another 21 days. I'm not so disappointed in thinking she might not have gotten pregnant with the AI protocol (I knew there was almost a 40% chance of no pregnancy); but, rather wondering what is going on with her hormones that would allow her to go into heat so fast right after an AI protocol.

Go to Top of Page

Mike

1667 Posts
Mike
Argyle WI
United States of America

Posted - Oct 16 2014 :  9:01:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AI....... I remember back in 1964 when I learned the drill. First thought was, "You want me to stick my arm WHERE?"...

Did okay I guess, years back. Now I just call Sandy, our local bull cheater and she does the deed. She'll be here Monday with all that Riverview semen, ready to go.

God bless all.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Oct 17 2014 :  04:56:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck with it Mike, or should I say GO SANDY! I couldn't get the AI guy to stop here for a couple cows even if I tossed a steak dinner out in front of Him. They are all too busy with the large beef ranches to bother.
Send in the Bulls.

Go to Top of Page

farmlife

1413 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2014 :  08:11:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is super confusing, isn't it Charlene? Maybe Clover is just determined that her body knows best and she'll do things on her own schedule regardless of the AI hormones.

quote:
Originally posted by CloversMum

Thank to both of you, Janet and Ron, for your help! Since I don't have a bull right here on site, I think that Clover would probably be out of heat by the time I figured things out. I do agree that would be the easiest...it sure is with my goats. Four of my five goats are now bred! But, maybe I can have something worked out before another 21 days. I'm not so disappointed in thinking she might not have gotten pregnant with the AI protocol (I knew there was almost a 40% chance of no pregnancy); but, rather wondering what is going on with her hormones that would allow her to go into heat so fast right after an AI protocol.

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2014 :  08:35:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my, yes it is confusing and a bit amusing! Here we try to overrule nature and Clover just continues to do what she was born to do as a cow! :-)

And, here is a big thank you to MaryJane! She talked with me yesterday after a very long day for herself and helped me sort things out. I am fairly confident now that Clover is not pregnant via AI and did, indeed, go into heat yesterday. She is not moo-ing today and carrying on like she was. I do have a call into the WSU vets as I noticed yesterday that Clover has a small abscess from one of the vaccines given. She was very sensitive of this lump (we've noticed it for a while and the vets saw it a few weeks ago); but, yesterday afternoon it started draining. I cleaned it out with iodine (wearing gloves!) but will wait to hear back from the vets today. So, that must get healed up. I will also have her tested for TB. Then, later on the plan is to have her visit MaryJane's farm with one of her bulls. So very grateful for MaryJane's encouragement, advice, and wisdom. Thank you, MaryJane.

Clover will be bred some day! And we will laugh and enjoy a calf some day! And I will enjoy her cream in my coffee some day!

Go to Top of Page

farmlife

1413 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2014 :  08:59:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds like you are keeping a good sense of humor about it. What a great thing to get to use one of MaryJane's bulls! It seems like the perfect solution since Clover is not following AI protocol and a bull wouldn't mind one bit. What fun for you and MaryJane both to wait for the new baby as well. Oh, that's even more exciting than AI. It's more like matchmaking. Too fun!

The main thing is to get Clover healed up and tested so she is ready for her date. She is so lucky to have a home where everyone is so attentive to her needs. I bet you will have milk before you know it!

quote:
Originally posted by CloversMum

Oh my, yes it is confusing and a bit amusing! Here we try to overrule nature and Clover just continues to do what she was born to do as a cow! :-)

And, here is a big thank you to MaryJane! She talked with me yesterday after a very long day for herself and helped me sort things out. I am fairly confident now that Clover is not pregnant via AI and did, indeed, go into heat yesterday. She is not moo-ing today and carrying on like she was. I do have a call into the WSU vets as I noticed yesterday that Clover has a small abscess from one of the vaccines given. She was very sensitive of this lump (we've noticed it for a while and the vets saw it a few weeks ago); but, yesterday afternoon it started draining. I cleaned it out with iodine (wearing gloves!) but will wait to hear back from the vets today. So, that must get healed up. I will also have her tested for TB. Then, later on the plan is to have her visit MaryJane's farm with one of her bulls. So very grateful for MaryJane's encouragement, advice, and wisdom. Thank you, MaryJane.

Clover will be bred some day! And we will laugh and enjoy a calf some day! And I will enjoy her cream in my coffee some day!

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2014 :  09:19:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So thankful MaryJane and you are so close Charlene. Everything will work out, you'll see. You will be one happy milking family in time. You've got a lot of folks who are sending their well wishes and are backing you from afar, but it's so nice MaryJane is able to help. It's all looking good and I hope Clover's access heals up quickly. Sending happy and positive thoughts your way dear lady.
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Oct 17 2014 :  6:51:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well let's not forget to give the Bull a big thank you also! :)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: