New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Topic
Page: of 5

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2014 :  5:12:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope everything checks out favorably with Clover. Sending good vibes your way and that you're closer to your breeding journey and have a pregnant Clover soon. Plus a little heifer on the way!
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2014 :  7:14:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Janet. I am definitely learning lots as the journey continues. I do appreciate the teaching vet hospital as I learn right alongside the students as the vet or instructor teaches. Love it! And, I have to think Clover will be fine...she acts and looks very healthy.

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2014 :  06:52:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So happy you got to experience the love WSU gives their animals and even happier they got to experience some love from Clover!!! I've said it before but after having Clover over here, I must reiterate, you have yourself a gorgeous gal.

Regarding the murmur, I had a couple of doctors tell me I had a heart murmur when I was a child (from scarlet fever we figured), and it could mean this or that, etc. I think what happened was we all got so busy, we forgot about it and later on when I was examined as an adult, I asked about it and the doc say, "nothing that I can detect." Gone I guess because I've had an EKG since then (for a life insurance policy) and all is well. So maybe Clover will just grow out of it.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2014 :  10:08:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, MaryJane, would you recommend the heart ultrasound that WSU can do? Is it necessary before proceeding with AI'ing? Clover just looks so healthy and was healthy in all other areas during her exam.

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Sep 03 2014 :  05:39:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow. I am so jealous. It sounds like you guys have a great vet in your area.

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo.
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2014 :  08:47:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ron! Yes, we are so very fortunate to have Washington State University Veterinary School Hospital so near by. And, I'm super impressed with their care...besides the fact that I'm learning right alongside the students!

Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Sep 05 2014 :  8:42:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow. A blessing for sure. Vets are far and few between here. The only one that has time to bother with small producers is an hour and a half and they never can come out in an emergency. Next place Set up will be somewhat closer to services.

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo.
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2014 :  06:17:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry I missed your question Charlene. If it were me, I would do the heart ultrasound just because I'm the curious type. But that doesn't mean I would think the results are written in stone (I actually think that since the heart is a muscle you could play around with supplements to improve its function). Unless it's terribly expensive (their prices are always so reasonable), I'm a fan of certain kinds of diagnostics. Yesterday, I had the WSU team out and we drew blood on all my animals in order to do mineral panels, along with other work-ups (stool samples) and their annual vaccinations. I like knowing if I'm getting their mineral supplements right.

For instance, selenium is difficult to get enough of around here so about a year ago I had them do a mineral panel on Samson and Milky Way. (Just to keep things intriguing, you can also give them too much selenium.) Anyway, both Samson and Milky Way were marginal on selenium (which I think could affect their ability to produce a bounty of semen). With those diagnostics in hand, I was able to adjust their diet and increase their selenium (I was trying to get Samson in good shape for collection of his semen). I think of it as having fun with science.

You might consider a parasite profile on Clover also (stool sample). Parasites can cause health problems for sure.

Ron, I love having the help of a good vet team to share in the joy of my animals with me. I'm in awe of all they know. The WSU Vet School is all about teaching so they're always very good about that with me. Why, just last Friday one of the WSU doctors sent me a couple of research papers to read regarding AI. (Guess what I do on Friday nights:)

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Sep 06 2014 :  4:07:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very blessed in deed to have the resource so close. The 2 closest Vet clinics here are really geared to the big beef producers and of course the sale barn crowd so we pretty much rely on the internet and others in the know ( like you guys ) and of course when I get worried look for that divine intuition to come through. Harriet was limping about 2 weeks before birth and I really could not get an answer from anyone. Went to the internet and looked up advice on limping. Ran the route of anything from foot rot to muscle ailments to who knows what. It turned out I caught Her laying down hoof up and scrubbed and cleaned and found a pebble lodged in her pad. Problem solved, phew.

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2014 :  4:43:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, MaryJane. Clover is scheduled for a heart ultrasound next Wednesday over at WSU vet hospital. I will be interested to see what they learn; but, I am quite nervous about what they find. I'll be asking soon about suggested supplements!

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2014 :  5:52:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm hoping the very best for Clover on Wednesday. Hope you get good news and things can progress. Supplements may be just the ticket. I've had heart trouble since my late teens. Been on different medication. Been told I needed to have a "pig valve". I refused, even though they told me the prognosis wouldn't be good without it. That was years ago, and well, I'm no spring chicken and I'm still here. And I've just recently weaned myself off every medication I have been on. Feel better than I have in sometime. I thank the heifers and activity for that. They make me happy. Plus I take certain supplements, and like all of us, pretty active. So things can improve. I'm really hoping she will be just fine. I'll be thinking of you and Clover. Hang in there, CloversMum.
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2014 :  8:54:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the encouragement, NellieBelle. I will definitely be posting what we find out on Wednesday. It should be a time of learning as the vet cardiologist is also having her vet students right there teaching them throughout the process. I will probably also be asking questions right along with the students since Clover is my cow! I'll see what they say about supplements as well... But the main thing is that she is healthy enough (she definitely looks like it!) to sustain a successful pregnancy.

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2014 :  2:31:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update on Clover: We just got back from the WSU veterinary hospital where Clover had a heart ultrasound to check out a heart murmur that was heard during her normal exam. And...all is well!!!! Can I say that again?? All is well!! The murmur hear is physiological and poses no harm or threat to her health or future breeding! And, all parts of her heart look healthy and strong. MaryJane recommended that I ask that a stool sample be taken and a parasite panel run. I requested that and they said that her test came up all clear! I couldn't have asked for a better report today! And, to top it all off, she is now 480 lbs...she is continuing to grow...still petite which I'd prefer but healthy in all ways.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2014 :  2:34:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's the greatest news! Congratulations on Clover's fantastic health report. It has to be a relief. I'm so happy for you Charlene.
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Sep 10 2014 :  2:49:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great news!

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2014 :  05:08:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All is well! (I'll chime in a third time.) This is great news. While we were waiting for news, I conjured up a plan to bring you one of my cows presently being milked (Clover serving as a companion if she couldn't be bred). Now on to the breeding of Clover!!! Yay!

I only have one cow left to breed this year (five down/one to go). I'm waiting for the 60 day mark from her last calving to put her in with one of my bulls. I put Eliza Belle (just shy of 14 months) in with Beau Vine yesterday because she clearly went into heat. (Such a scene when that happens/girls' slumber party gone wrong/someone slipping "ecstasy" into their pellets.)

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2014 :  4:09:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you everyone! And, MaryJane you are just great! Thanks for starting to think of a backup plan...'cause my heart was going to be hurting (aka, slightly broken!) if Clover did not have a good report. But, haha, I was already thinking that she could just be a companion for another sweet Jersey...didn't know how I was going to get another Jersey, but I didn't want to give up Clover!

I have to say that she is leading quite well with her halter and lead rope...in fact the techs at WSU said I didn't need to back up my trailer to the roll-up door since Clover was so easy to lead! So, lessons on backing a trailer still need to be passed; however, I did pull my trailer successfully. :-) By myself!! Yes, an old dog can learn new tricks!

I have an email into Dr. Pearson at WSU to proceed with AI for Clover....so thrilled and thankful.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2014 :  12:47:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like all is going in the right direction with Clover. I can't wait to hear that she has come in heat and AI'd and pregnant. I'm watching Nellie, it's time to breed her back for next year. Keep us posted on Clover's progress. Have a great day!
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Sep 14 2014 :  12:59:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All is well that ends well. We are so happy things are going well for your beloved friend Clover. And I bet She is going to be a good Momma.
We have decided to let Harriet take a year off and raise Her calf and relax . She came from the dairy and this is baby number three and I want Her to rest. I think Her Mom is 12 and still calving so no push the cow.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2014 :  2:09:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know a mom alive that wouldn't like a rest. :) That's pretty good for a dairy cow isn't it?
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Sep 14 2014 :  2:11:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes it is. If you do not push them they can have a long productive life.

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2014 :  08:49:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's Clover standing as the vet students listen to her heart and the heart murmur which turned out to be just physiological and will not interfere with her health or ability to be bred!

Clover was so patient...they had an emergency that required the use of the ultrasound machine so Clover had to wait in this contraption for almost an hour before her testing could begin. She never complained! Especially after they brought her some treats to munch! Clover has definitely stolen my heart!!

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2014 :  09:00:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can see why Charlene. That is so good of Clover. She must really have a sweet disposition. Thank you for posting the pictures. It's cool to see what your and MaryJane's animals experience with the WSU. And nice they are so close. Truly happy that Clover is doing so well and can be a mother. It's exciting and I can't wait to hear more.

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Sep 15 2014 :  10:26:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a nice looking friend you have there.

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2014 :  1:33:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, very thankful for the knowledge and wisdom that the WSU vet hospital has! And, everyone there seems so caring and patient. I am very grateful.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: