New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Topic
Page: of 2

farmlife

1413 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2016 :  09:09:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So Alex has been super patient about waiting for her baby to arrive. I'm still working on my patience, but it has been very nice to have the time to work with her and do a little pampering.
So there are times when she is laying in the pasture like this and I know she is thinking, "Anytime now, anytime!"

Here are some other pictures of her coming out of the pen/stanchion area. She was determined to go all of the places she doesn't usually have access to and check everything out. A good time for me to take pictures I thought.

Her udder is getting very large and tight. She's waddling around it. I keep thinking she can't go much longer, and then I look from behind and think she still has the whole upper portion to develop yet.

Her umbilical area is starting to fill with fluid.

Here she wanted to let me know that she couldn't believe we usually fence them out of the very best scratching post on the whole property. Never mind that it is a tree trying to grow.

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2016 :  2:39:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes the waiting. But, all in good time. Alex is looking good. Nellie rubbed her head when she went into labor. So maybe Alex is heading into early labor. I'm sure the two of you are anxious and ready for the little calf to deliver. Can't wait. I wonder if she/he will have similar markings. Pretty. Thanks for sharing the photos of Alex. Hang in there Keeley.

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2016 :  5:25:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
looks wonderful keeley! i am super excited for you and can't wait to see your calf.

Firefly Hollow Farm , our little farmstead. Farmgirl living in the green piney woods of East Texas on 23 acres with a few jerseys, too many chickens, a pair of pugs and my Texan hubby (aka "lover boy")
Go to Top of Page

farmlife

1413 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2016 :  7:08:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are some pictures from today. I'm trying to decide if there's any change or not.

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2016 :  8:33:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems like the top of her udder filled in more, doesn't it? She certainly is a fine-looking cow Keeley. I'd snatch a cow like that in nothin' flat. I can't believe how much she's changed since she first followed you home:) She reminds me of Sally.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

farmlife

1413 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2016 :  11:03:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was thinking that too, MaryJane. Alex's udder seems much more well attached than Elli's, but her back teats are pretty far back. Of course that doesn't matter to me as long as milk comes out of them and she is patient while milking. :)
Go to Top of Page

Caren

168 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2016 :  2:13:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Has anyone watched the British show "Poldark"? The second season starts in September. I could watch it forever.......
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2016 :  2:17:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I keep scrolling up and down, comparing Alex's back view of her udder ... it seems like it is less "wrinkled" today so I'm voting that she looks fuller! It is getting closer! She's dark, similar to Flossie. I love how the Jerseys can differ and yet still look like a Jersey .. those eyes, oh my, those eyes! I also like her white spots which reminds me of our Betsy cow.

I'm anxiously waiting for pictures of a new calf ... so exciting!

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

farmlife

1413 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2016 :  3:15:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm glad to know I'm not imagining it! Taking pictures is helpful, as I don't always notice the little changes day to day.
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2016 :  4:32:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Caren, Poldark was a show that Cindy introduced many of us to here on the chatroom. I haven't gotten a chance to watch the first season, but perhaps I need to soon so I can watch the next season and know what is going on!

Two votes now for Poldark.

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

farmlife

1413 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2016 :  06:24:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Meet Xander! Alex was showing some long strings of mucous last night and some restlessness. She was definitely having contractions around 11:30. I kept checking her every few hours and by 4:20 that blessed bubble of fluid had appeared. She calved this morning around 5:20. Just about when I was starting to worry about her progress out popped Xander. Mama and baby are up and about and he is the tiniest, cutest little calf I have ever seen! I had a friend on standby just in case as my husband and boys are gone fishing this weekend. It takes a true friend to answer the phone at 4:40 a.m. ;)

My daughter and I both got to see the birth. She was really excited to see the calf and after he was out and cleaned up she said, "Well, I'm really glad I got to see the calf born, but now I'm going to bed!" I can't blame her. Not every 9 year old would have made it that long on 3 hours of sleep! She just didn't want to miss it. I had to laugh, though because when I called our friend to be "on call" my daughter said, "Good. We don't know what we're doing!"

Alex has been a great mama so far and he's nursing. We are counting our blessings! (It's only a slightly cruel twist of fate that he is so stinking adorable and a bull calf.) I didn't have any boy names picked out, but it just came to me that of course Alex's baby boy should be called Xander.

His cord is dunked and Alex has fresh hay and water. Now I'll just watch for the afterbirth. Whew!

Edited by - farmlife on Aug 13 2016 06:25:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2016 :  06:34:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful news. And he IS too stinkin' cute. Alex's udder and everything looks fabulous. Phew. Good job Keeley and daughter!!!!

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2016 :  06:50:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a beautiful pair Keeley! He is gorgeous. Love those markings! It's such a wonderful experience and even more so that your daughter shared it with you and your faithful friend. Now, enjoy and keep us posted on the progress of the both of them. Happy news and outcome for sure. Alex is looking at the camera like, "What's up, haven't you seen a calf nurse before?" Priceless.

Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2016 :  07:14:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
beautiful keeley, just beautiful!

caren, i am in looooovvvve with poldark! after watching season one i bought all the books and read them. they are very nice long books, so i think i spent a couple of months just reading poldark. about 8 or 10, can't remember. anyway, if you like to read and loved the miniseries then by all means get the books - they are literally books i could read again, and that doesn't happen often. can't wait for season two. i have thought about watching the original bbc miniseries from the 70s but didn't want to get other actors faces in my head ;>

Firefly Hollow Farm , our little farmstead. Farmgirl living in the green piney woods of East Texas on 23 acres with a few jerseys, too many chickens, a pair of pugs and my Texan hubby (aka "lover boy")
Go to Top of Page

farmlife

1413 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2016 :  07:17:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And. . . afterbirth has passed. Check, check, and check. Now on to the milking checklist for later. I had to laugh because our friend got here just in time to watch Xander get up and nurse and to watch me dunk the cord. He told me all was good and that I had earned a nap. I'm so glad Alex doesn't look emaciated even if she does find it surprising that I haven't seen a calf nurse before. :) Right after birth Elli started looking really skinny.

Here are a few more pictures of Xander's adorable face.

Look who was waiting for me on the step when I got back. :) He thinks he's still tiny.
Go to Top of Page

farmlife

1413 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2016 :  07:22:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And here's my nighttime helper. Kierra is going to be a tough one to rouse today!
Farming is hard work!

The Poldark books sound great, Cindy. I'll have to give them a try.
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2016 :  07:29:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keeley you have shown photos of what true farm life is about. I'm in love with Xander. What a little heart throb. And Moose is adorable. So thankful he is doing better now. And your darling daughter, looks wore out. What a sweet girl to sit up with her momma and watch the wonder and beauty of birth. Hope you can get a nap in today too. Thank you so much for taking the time to add the updates and photos. Really enjoy them.

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2016 :  09:22:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I couldn't agree more with what Janet expressed. Today was a wonderful snapshot into the world you're creating for your children (and cows and Moose and broody chickens ...). Warms the heart, Keeley. And little Xander is definitely a heart throb.

Go to Top of Page

Mike

1667 Posts
Mike
Argyle WI
United States of America

Posted - Aug 13 2016 :  11:05:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good job girls! Old men do cry.
Go to Top of Page

farmlife

1413 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2016 :  8:26:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're not old, Mike! Young at heart means forever young. You even had a man eating bobcat come after you and lived to tell the tale. It's that soft heart that keeps you going.
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2016 :  9:43:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh congratulations, Keeley! I just checked in and discovered all the excitement happening for you last night and today. Alex and Xander are such a beautiful pair with their coordinating markings. What fun! And a special memory between you and your daughter ...

Thanks for sharing your photos ... beautiful farm with family, friends and critters. Many blessings.

Go to Top of Page

farmlife

1413 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2016 :  12:50:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are Xander's one month pictures:

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2016 :  3:00:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a cutie pa-tootie! I love the coloring and white patches.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2016 :  3:10:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess I shouldn't say patootie seeing how Xander is a boy. But I still think he's a cutie.

Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2016 :  3:35:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he's so adorable! love the white forehead, white splash, and white switch on the tail. my kinda cow!

Go to Top of Page

farmlife

1413 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2016 :  6:58:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He is adorable. The only thing I don't love about him are his horn buds. :) We'll have to do something about those soon.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: