Milking
 We are finally OAD milking!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

RainierRidgeRanch

6 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2016 :  2:46:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It has taken Clarabelle and I a month to do it but we made the transition last week! I took it really slow for two reasons, my husband who grew up on a dairy was really not convinced that it was going to work and be ok. I kept telling him about you all and how it was working for lots of people so he agreed to let me try. But then Clarabelle kept threatening to get mastitis, never full blown though because I upped her vitamin C and probiotics and then just went really slow. I was able to stop milking out her front quarters at night two weeks ago and then last week was able to stop the rear quarters as well. I've been only milking in the morning for almost a week now and no signs of mastitis! We did it! I'm grateful I was able to read Mary Jane's book Milk Cow Kitchen and read about other people's experiences here. I'm looking forward to many more once a day milkings to come!

Raising kids, cows, pigs, goats and chickens in Rainier Wa.

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2016 :  3:06:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hooray! I like that you took it slow and really watched Clarabelle to avoid any issues. Once a day milking just seems so doable and not overwhelming. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2016 :  5:41:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations RainierRidgeRanch. Thankful all worked out for you and Clarabelle! Lots of great information and experience in MaryJane's book and the folks who have experience in once a day milking. May you have many once a day milking success!

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2016 :  6:22:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
congrats! that is very exciting. these are the type of comments that are so rewarding to everyone. thanks for sharing.

Firefly Hollow Farm , our little farmstead. Farmgirl living in the green piney woods of East Texas on 23 acres with a few jerseys, too many chickens, a pair of pugs and my Texan hubby (aka "lover boy")
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2016 :  9:02:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for sharing your success. Slowly but surely. Well done! Congrats.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: