Chit Chat and Daily Weather Report
 Tuesday the 7th of July
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2015 :  04:18:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning everyone (and hopefully Janet also). Jasper extends his paw (he stepped on the Tab key and sent everything racing across the page). The birds are just beginning to sing. Soon we'll all be burnin' daylight. That reminds me, a woman from Montana sent us a copy of her new cookbook called "We're Burnin' Daylight." Her Jersey milk cow is on the front cover. That caught my eye. But what really caught my eye is the fact that she named her cow after me. Throughout the book, she talks about Mary Jane the cow. Hubby thought Mary Jane's this or that recipe looked pretty good and of course he's still having fun with the occasional good-ole-cow joke.
http://www.amazon.com/Were-Burnin-Daylight-Lynne-Heryford/dp/1629945315/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1436268025&sr=1-1&keywords=we%27re+burnin+daylight&pebp=1436268028401&perid=0BNAABYFV21FBDSZD0R0

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Jul 07 2015 :  05:38:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Morning Mary Jane, good morning them who ain't made it yet.

Ah yes, we're burning the daylight. Looks look a good book with all sorts of goodies inside...this time if year I won't find out.
Heat wave a coming starting Friday. This is the time of year! The 3 h program...heat, hoppers and hail.

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo.
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2015 :  06:01:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Morning MaryJane, Ron. Cool here for a couple of days then heat for the weekend. Had to don a hooded sweatshirt this morning. Enjoy your day. Runner bean Sunset

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Jul 07 2015 :  06:35:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Janet..cool is good..dog days coming...then winter!

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo.
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2015 :  06:58:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Janet, the girls have those same runner beans mixed in with a scarlet bloom variety and the Cardinal climber vines you sent. They planted them around a trellis they can sit under later this summer. Should be beautiful, plus they can eat the beans.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2015 :  07:29:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nourishment of all kinds! Beauty and bounty from the vines. And add to that a good story and it doesn't get much better. My cardinal vine is really tall but hasn't bloomed much yet. Won't be long.

Go to Top of Page

Mike

1667 Posts
Mike
Argyle WI
United States of America

Posted - Jul 07 2015 :  07:39:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A late 'good morning'. Is that cardinal vine the same as what I heard called a cardinal flower? The botany prof said it was one of the smallest seeds there is. He described the color as 'atomic red', for its intensity.

Looks like mid eighties on the weekend, and more rain. Have four clear days for making hay.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2015 :  08:08:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cardinal vine. The seeds remind me of large mice droppings. Sorry, but that's what they look like. The hummingbirds love these flowers. Plus the leaf is beautiful in design. Mornin Mike and Valerie.

Go to Top of Page

Mike

1667 Posts
Mike
Argyle WI
United States of America

Posted - Jul 07 2015 :  08:27:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Google is your friend.... cardinal vine= Ipomoea cardinal flower=lobelia

Yup, different. And for kicks, trumpet vine=Campsis
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2015 :  5:08:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good evening everyone! janet, LOVE sweet peas! the moment my oldest niece came home from the hospital she was dubbed sweet pea. she's 28 now and signs "sweet pea" whenever sending me email or cards.

i have to go start choring now, so will sign off for the evening now. will miss y'all for about a week and a half - i am traveling tomorrow to california for work for a week then off to mj's wed 7/15 - yeah me!!

so good night mike, ron, janet, charlene, and wherever victoria and sydney are! take care, will have lots to share whne i return from my miss sally o'mally visit.

Firefly Hollow Farm , our little farmstead. Farmgirl living in the green piney woods of East Texas on 23 acres with a few jerseys, too many chickens, a pair of pugs and my Texan hubby (aka "lover boy")
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Jul 07 2015 :  5:15:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well hello and good night/bye Cindy...

Same here..evening domestic chores then some rest..good night all.

Janet and Joe rest up..hope coffee is good to us in the morning.

Go to Top of Page

Mike

1667 Posts
Mike
Argyle WI
United States of America

Posted - Jul 07 2015 :  5:31:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cindy, don't they have computers in California?????? Check in! And send photos from Idaho.

Night Ron.....

Our garden is going nuts. One good thing about getting a late start due to frost and rain is that the first flushes of weeds are over and any weeding or tilling now is about the last of it. The ground stays pretty clean from here on out to frost time. Potatoes are looking luscious. There is a field of canning company peas by my Polish friends place. When they harvest we'll get a few bushels of shelled peas to freeze. We can also give a lot away to the neighbours to freeze. Ten bucks for two plastic buckets of peas is cheap...and they have ninety acres to harvest. Then the canning company sweet corn. Oh my..... they raise the butter and cream, bicolor type as well as a few heirloom varieties, and also the white corn..... I can't think of it's name. Country Gentleman? Anyhow the canning guys don't mind folks picking some, just as long as you don't get run over by the machines.....

Getting 40 tons of ground ag lime for the two alfalfa fields. Have to rent the spinner rig to spread it. $4.50 per ton, delivered in a big pile. Load the spinner with the Bobcat and spread with horses or tractor.
This fall we'll spread Azomite on ten or fifteen acres.

This farm hasn't seen a chemical since the late '80's. I bought it in '90 and the only thing it's seen from me is manure, rain and sunshine...... and a few cover/catch crops of oats. Disk 'em in and go on.
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2015 :  6:04:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, hello Cindy and have a pleasant night, pleasant trip out west and visit with MaryJane and Sally O'Mally. Yes, coffee in the a.m. Miss my Nellie's cream, but still have cream from dairy. Your garden sounds lush Mike. I have peas and beans ready but the mosquitoes are as big as horses and thicker than fog. So if I want produce I will have to suit up in the bee suit. Tomatoes don't look good. I've never seen them this bad before. Too much rain. Great for mosquitoes not so great for tomatoes. Well, good night Ron and Elaine, good night everyone. Sydney, how is AppleButter doing? How are you doing?

Go to Top of Page

Mike

1667 Posts
Mike
Argyle WI
United States of America

Posted - Jul 07 2015 :  7:13:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Janet,
We're having a problem with our Bell Peppers. No others, just the bells. Yellow spots, then brown crackey areas inside the yellow as the yellow expands. Leaf tips browning too. Bought these particular plants from Jung's but they just buy them in from down south. Same thing last year, thought it was a fluke. The ones we started or other varieties, no problems.

Tomatoes are like wild things around here. Blooms are starting (remember our late start). Potatoes are so cool.

Cindy, have a ball on your trip and give Maryjane a hug for us all. LOTS of pictures, or did didn't really happen! Just a story without photos ;)

Not many mosquitoes but lots of fireflies. Valerie has something called SWAT for the cows and horses. Little streak of it on their forehead and the flies leave them alone.

We have to put some supers on. Oh...looks like we lost a swarm earlier, now we gained one back. Black bees, Russians? Really dark anyhow. Hives are just boiling over now. Some I thought we'd have to combine to get through the year are knee deep in bees now. Just wish we could get our ag folks to see what they did in those two states in Italy several years back. Banned all GMO stuff and in two years the beez were back full tilt and then some!! The stuff that generates BT to ward off borers is death on beez. They don't gather pollen much from corn but it sure kills 'em dead. What else generates BT? And then the neonicotinoids..... That's what Italy banned, the neonics.....

"Neonicotinoids are a relatively new class of insecticides that share a common mode of action that affect the central nervous system of insects, resulting in paralysis and death. They include imidacloprid, acetamiprid, clothianidin, dinotefuran, nithiazine, thiacloprid and thiamethoxam.
Chemicals Implicated - Beyond Pesticides
www.beyondpesticides.org/pollinators/chemicals.php"
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2015 :  7:55:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't know about the peppers. Looks like too much rain pretty much ruined most everything here. Great info on bees. I lost a swarm the same day we lost son, but unable to handle anything that day. Haven't had much of a chance to get much of anything done lately. Doing the best we can. I will read more on the link you posted tomorrow. Thank you.

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2015 :  8:07:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still can't believe that someone with a heart as big as yours Janet has to type I lost a swarm the same day we lost son. Dear God, it's so very wrong on every level. Life can't do that to someone like you.

Go to Top of Page

Mike

1667 Posts
Mike
Argyle WI
United States of America

Posted - Jul 07 2015 :  9:57:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Nearly black spots appear on leaves and lower stem; leaves turn yellow to brown. Early blight is a fungal disease spread by heavy rainfall and warm temperatures. Keep weeds down in the garden area; they harbor fungal spores. Avoid overhead watering".

Describes it to a T. Gee.....water, temperatures.......
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2015 :  08:50:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Janet, i havent gone thru what you are but lover boy and i lost two babies 13 months apart, one stillborn and the other born premature and died. Devestating. I remember after a few other things happening thereafter just standing outside screaming at the sky " bring it on!!". Boy, i felt feisty that day.

Then 3 months later i curled up into a ball for a few days...

Just take it day by day, some will be worse and some will be better... thinking of you.

Firefly Hollow Farm , our little farmstead. Farmgirl living in the green piney woods of East Texas on 23 acres with a few jerseys, too many chickens, a pair of pugs and my Texan hubby (aka "lover boy")
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: