Welcome Wagon
 Salutations from the Texas Hill Country
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

Caren

168 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2015 :  12:52:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am so happy to join this amazing group of people. I have been a member for quite some time but have only lurked. Each of you share a passion for dairy cows with many experiences and wisdom which will equip each of us with more knowledge.

Our micro-dairy currently holds a State of Texas raw milk permit; which the learning curve has been tremendous. We strive to breed an old-fashioned sturdy compact Jersey cow which maintains body condition in our semi-arid climate on a grass-fed diet. We are avid about our bovine disease testing, we test every May all cows and bulls.

We also are pleased to announce our heifers Nickel and Rainey are expecting in April with MaryJane's bull Samson.

I am looking forward to becoming acquainted with each of you.

Happy Milking,
Caren

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2015 :  1:11:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome Caren. Nice to visit with new folks. Exciting news about your heifers Nickel and Rainey pregnant with Samson sire. Hopefully we will get to see photos of your gals when you get a chance. I can't even imagine what it would be like to have a micro dairy and a raw milk permit. Quite a responsibility I'm certain. So happy for you and look forward to learning more about you and your bovine family.

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2015 :  3:15:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello from a fellow texan! east texas local, just got my first cows last month and i am horrible about posting photos but attempt to do so when i remember - gotta share the gorgeous girls with everyone here.

look forward to hearing about your cows, welcome to hjo!!

Firefly Hollow Farm , our little farmstead. Farmgirl living in the green piney woods of East Texas on 23 acres with a few jerseys, too many chickens, a pair of pugs and my Texan hubby (aka "lover boy")
Go to Top of Page

Andrea0509

155 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2015 :  6:52:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome Caren! I'm also new to the group, just joined about a month ago and have already learned such a great deal from the members here. It's great that we're such a diverse group and have so many different types of experience and knowledge to share. A micro dairy, so fascinating! I'm also having my cow AI'd by Samson, actually any day now. Fingers crossed that it will take! How exciting that you'll have calves of his this spring :)
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2015 :  7:05:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's wonderful to be saying welcome to such a seasoned, talented milkmaid as you, Caren!!

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Oct 25 2015 :  04:23:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Caren...guess I'm late as usual...but hello...welcome...and share! Sounds like you have lots of stories and info on dairy life....pictures too?

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo.
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2015 :  12:45:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A warm welcome from Idaho! And, I'm even later than Ron ...

Tell us more about your micro-dairy as that sounds like something my son really wants to do. We have our raw cow milk small herd exemption permit and sell some of our cow milk to others. I'd love to learn more of how you have things set up and what you've learned through the process.

What other animals do you have?

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

Caren

168 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2015 :  11:58:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your warm welcome, I am so happy to find kindred spirits. Your milk cows are very fortunate to belong to such a caring group.
I will add some pictures very soon of my girls. We have a blog at http://colescreamery.blogspot.com if you would like to see a few pictures of our farm.
There are pictures of our bulk tank and layout of our milk room at the site. ;)
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Oct 29 2015 :  12:19:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice...very nice...well done !

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo.
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: