Marking Crayon for Breeding
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

Boots&Flipflops

499 Posts
Darla

Posted - Jun 07 2017 :  01:12:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I mentioned that I use these on my rams, and it may help some of you have a better idea of when your girl is bred or serviced. For rams there is a harness that they wear when put out with all the ewes. When he "marks them heavy" they have been bred.

The harness I use is nylon, there are leather ones as well. The crayon is like a large bar of soap that has a holder on it that attaches to the harness. It sets between the rams front legs at his chest. When he services the gals their rear ends get a good coating of the color from this crayon.

If some of you need help determining a closer breeding date, you could get some of the crayon blocks and just rub in on the rear by her tail head and such when you know she is showing signs of heat. After your bull breeds your gal, he should have transferred the coloring to his chest and or underside. They come in red, blue, and green. Come off this soap and water when you want to clean is off, or change the color.

You can find these on the internet at some livestock supply places. There is a local store here where I buy them and they do have a web. It is www.enasco.com It is kind of a strange place as they sell school teacher science supplies, art supplies, as well as having a huge livestock supply. Lots of stuff for cattle. Birthing, tagging, syringes, you name it they have it. They also have a store in Fort Atkinson, WI, if any one lives close enough.

I hope this will be of help to some of you that have had to guess as to when you cows were bred, if at all. The crayons are cheap and worth a try. I have seen the chin harnesses for bulls, but have no idea how well they work. Looks like the ball of an ink pen under his chin. If you haven't seen them, look up "bull marking harness".

To Succeed In This Life You Need Three Things: A Backbone, A Wish Bone and a Funny Bone. As quoted by Reba McEntire

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2017 :  05:46:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
on several trips to britain i always marveled on the "cuteness" of different farmers marking their sheep with different colors - must help differentiate who's sheep is who's.... that was as a naive young non-livestock owner ;> fast forward several years when i learned of the magic of breeding crayons and felt as silly as could be! the effectiveness always amazed me, look at a flock of 200 sheep and you can't find one that isn't marked.

Firefly Hollow Farm , our little farmstead. Farmgirl living in the green piney woods of East Texas on 23 acres with a few jerseys, too many chickens, a pair of pugs and my Texan hubby (aka "lover boy")
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2017 :  06:59:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Such a cool idea. I had no idea ... Thank you Darla for all the necessary details!

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2017 :  9:25:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Darla! This just might help! I definitely know I DONT like not having a specific due date! Thank you for all the specifics.

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

Boots&Flipflops

499 Posts
Darla

Posted - Jun 15 2017 :  09:31:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, here is where it will drive you crazy. Constantly looking at hind ends to see if anyone is marked. Ram is in with 9 ewes and nothing going on. Are you just hanging out with the girls and eating or what? Talking to the ram, yes! Finally, yesterday, Gracie one of my ewes has the mother of all "Smurf Butts"!! (blue crayon) I swear they all come into heat at the same time, as one is marked and he is chasing three others.

I can just picture those of you who might try this, instead of inspecting the south end of your cows, constantly looking under the chest of your bulls. LOL It's one end or the other, right?

To Succeed In This Life You Need Three Things: A Backbone, A Wish Bone and a Funny Bone. As quoted by Reba McEntire
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2017 :  06:23:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Again, this is just the coolest idea ever. Can't thank you enough for sharing the, uhm, colorful details!

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: